Running lean

red lion

I have the breakout harness and a carb mate. I have used them on my 1100 sport and others to set TPS and balance throttle bodies in the past. I have not yet tried to set the CO trim because my computer skills are not grate and just thinking of the guzzidiag program has stopped my in my tracks. I'm not even sure what the CO trim is. Is it the fuel mixture?

1 hour ago, red lion said:

I have the breakout harness and a carb mate. I have used them on my 1100 sport and others to set TPS and balance throttle bodies in the past. I have not yet tried to set the CO trim because my computer skills are not grate and just thinking of the guzzidiag program has stopped my in my tracks. I'm not even sure what the CO trim is. Is it the fuel mixture?

This is a really good question. Short answer is, yes it is the fuel mixture. Yet, really only very significant at idle and near-closed throttle positions. In my experience, this can be enough to help at those sensitive rpm where our V11 is prone to stumble. Combined with the fact that all of the V11 CO Fuel Trim settings I have seen (in The States) have been deep into double digits negative. Bringing this to zero, or even double digits positive, has proven to smooth out the tendency to cough.

The true fuel/ ignition parameters are derived by the map. Be certain the throttle plate is ABSOLUTELY closed to baseline the TPS (to the point of holding it closed or zip-tying it) in order that the fuel/ignition curves are fully indexed to the throttle openings.

That the factory map has so much ignition advance, at the lowest throttle openings, makes that +/- 2800 rpm range extremely sensitive requiring that all of the other parameters (valve lash, plugs, CO Trim, TPS, throttle body balance, air/fuel filters) are critically seen to.

I suspect changing to a freer flowing exhaust simply made all of this more sensitive yet.

While we might consider that Throttle Body Balance could be the one main thing that changed with the canisters, to only balance the throttle bodies would be like picking up a 6-string guitar to tune, then only tuning one string . . .

22 minutes ago, red lion said:

Thank you that was very helpful.   How hard is it to use the guzzidiag program?

It is really not difficult. Yet, reliably getting the ECU to connect can be fiddly. Once you have the correct cables, it is a matter of following the sequencing, sometimes repeatedly to get connected.

It will be very telling if you find your CO Fuel Trim set some thing like -27 (negative twenty-seven) like mine was from the factory. I've seen settings of -75 and even negative triple digits.  Correcting this to zero (or positive) is essential.

• 3 weeks later...

Look at the attached graph of my lambda measurements on my 2000 V11. The uppermost line is the stock bike (stock exhaust) at WOT. AFR at 2700 rpm goes leaner than 16 which is way to lean for a V11. 

When putting on a different exhaust, the situation may worsen easily.

The lines below show the effect of my first changes on the fuel map.

Messung6.jpg