Increased mileage

badmotogoozer

Noticed something interesting. With gas prices ridiculously high and my usual 94 octane high test unavailable I filled my tank with 89 octane. Got much improved mileage on that tank with same riding conditions. My fuel light would come on at 170kms fairly consistently but didn't come on until 214kms on that tank.

Seems strange to me but who knows? The thing has always been exceptionally piggy with the petrol even before mods so I'm hoping my next tank yields the same result. Hotter burning gas = better mileage??

More research required! If I collect data for mileage vs. octane for, say, 50 tank fills at each octane rating I should have "real" results...

More riding required! :bike:

Rj

Guest Brian Robson

I've used Petro Can/Chevron 91 octane since new.....bloody hell you must be belting on to only get 170Km per tank. I've had a best of 260 and a worst of 211 and I thought I rode OK.....Ton up club no kiddin :bier::bier:

My bike knocks like hell if I use anything less than 92 actane. However, mileage has not been an issue. My low fuel light has not worked since new, so was never really sure how far it would go, till one ride with my brother on his Exxon Valdez [GS-PD] with 9 imperial gallon tank. Believe it, 290kms on the V11, with steady highway/motorway speed of 125kms/78mph.

Remember than high octane these days is a bit untrue, actually it uses a flame inhibiter to prevent pre-igniting [pinging/knocking].

Ciao, Steve G.

It makes sense that the lower octane provides better fuel mileage.

You could also use a power commander to lean out the rich spots, but then the bike may run hotter and burn valves if you over do it.

so maybe lower octane is better (until your bike pings)

I remember hearing that Will Creedon said his bike(Sporti or Daytona???) would run fine on 87 OCTANE after he had remapped it.

My low level light usually comes on around 270km when commuting. On a trip I've got as high as 311.

I use 96 octane because with anything less it pings like hell under heavy throttle. Pinging is another term for detonation - which leads to all sorts of engine damage. (Sorry if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs.) :(

Cheers,

Bill

Guest Brian Robson

Strider, you do know that the bike has more than 3 gears don't you? :o:o

With that sort of milage and pinging I would suggest that the bike is slightly on the lean side B)B)

You guys in Europe may pay way more for your fuel, but you guys sure have the top level stuff available. Here in Western Canada, the best we can do is 94 octane, and only at selected Chevron stations.

Oh I forgot, I can go down to the local airport and top up with aviation gasoline, 110 octane, for about 300% more than local 94.

Ciao, Steve G.

You have to remember that US/Canadian pump octane of 91 equals approximately 96 in Europe. Using different yardsticks leads to false conclusions.

We use as a pump octane an average of research and motor method (R+M/2).

Here in Holland the lowest octane available is 95. I always use 98. Very expensive, but I only want the best for my Goose. :bier:

The best gasoline is always the lowest octane one; it is purest and with highest BTU.

Only in case of your engine knocking you have to downgrade to higher octane gasoline contaminated with anti-knocking additives and, just to add insult to injury, more expensive.

Strider, you do know that the bike has more than 3 gears don't you? :o  :o

With that sort of milage and pinging I would suggest that the bike is slightly on the lean side B)  B)

G'day Brian,

Actually I reckon it's running rich. A mate's Rosso Corsa is returning 21- 22 km/litre so of course I want to know why.

My 35 km ride to work is fairly boring highway. Very seldom get to change back to 4th.

I usually go the back way which has some great corners but there's a fair bit of roadworks going on. Even so, there's no need to change lower than 4th as most corners can be taken at 110 km/h plus. Not bad seeing as we have a 100 km/h max speed limit in this area.

Cheers

Hi Ryan,

Yes I've heard they have it now. Can you tell me if their 94 has methanol additive like their other gasolines? I've always had nothing but problems with the high amount of methanol in their product.

Ciao, Steve G.