Hepco becker

Guest GGuzzi

Guest GGuzzi

I am contemplating putting the a set of Hepco Becker " Journey hard bags'. My question is has anyone installed them and if so, how do I eliminate the rear rack (#&* ugly as sin ) and at the same time stabilize the mounts??? :homer:

Bueller?

bueller..../

Bueller........?

I have the H&B rack and Journey bags. The luggage bridge (which is what I assume you're referring to as the "rear rack") is an optional piece, as far as I know. Not necessary to keep the bags stable. Your H&B dealer will be able to tell you for sure if that's true.

I know I took my bridge off recently and checked the bag mounts for stability, since I was curious. They seemed just as stable as when the bridge is installed.

By the way, the Journey bags are nice and huge. I can fit a full face helmet *and* stuff around the edges (like a rain jacket, or non-armored riding clothes) in each one. Very impressive.

I thought the same as you about the rear rack looking ugly. I ran my 03 Rosso with out the rear rack for a few thousand miles with just the 30 liter bags. No problems (had some flex), then I purchased a set of 40 liter bags and the racks do vibrate alot. So I ended up installing the rear rack and it does stiffen the rack up quite a bit. The flex in the rack would in my opion cause a failure in the rack itself over time.

With the bags on the bike the rack is not noticeable. I am thinking of a way to remove the rack easily when it is not in use. But I really like the rear rack for it makes a great place to put the helmet when fueling up.

Mike

Guest GGuzzi

Thanks guys I appreciate the feed back and the pictures. That is my bike to the tee Mike. Without the red rims. I like the journeys 40 liters which is the set I believe I will settle on.

ianj:

How do you like the finish on them and also how does it affect the bikes stability?

I have a 40 liter trunk that fits up there when we are motel traveling. When we're on a camping trip my camping bag fits nicely up there. This camping bag is big enough to tightly carry 2 sleeping bags, a queen size air mattress and blower, a 4 person tent, and several pillows. It probably weighs 40 pounds. The rack is rock solid.

I do not notice any aerodynamic problems with the system.

i don't think it's THAT ugly. but then, i have a silver sport, so it clashes alot less. can black clash with anything? maybe you could get the racks painted? i think it's an important part, adds alot of support to the whole system.

i've fitted hepco+becker but have problems with rear pegs ie passenger only has a small space to put her feet how did you both find it with your pillion???

The mufflers on my bike have foot pads mounted near the front. She puts her heels on the peg and the front of her foot on the pad. I've thought about making a set of offset pegs that move her feet to a more comfortable position but I've yet to hear her complain.

Uh, my SOWMBO is the one who bought me this bike as a wedding present. The cover has been in storage since day one. Bike has over 18,000 miles on it. 16,000 of them 2 up. About 10,000 on trips. Read my post "Mini Tour."

Guest Neronut

Lets get back to the original question of HB Journey bags. Ian, what size bags do you have 30 or 40 Liter? Anybody, how do they stand up to rain and use? Anybody else have the Journey bags not Junior bag? How difficult is the installation? I have a trip coming up and would like as much info as possible before laying down that much money for bags that are not so great looking but (maybe) are the best hard bags you can get for a LeMans. :huh2: