lighter oil spec for 03 models

leafman60

Ok guys, Im not trying to start a new oil thread buttttttt my attention has been drawn to the fact that pre 03 Guzzi manuals suggested 20/50 engine oil. After 03, the suggestion is 5/40. What gives?? I cant find anything about this in the archives. Is this because of the piston spray deal ?? 5/40 seems too light for me, especially in hotter climes. Somebody educate me, please. :bike:

Guest SDKFZ111

Slippery stuff.My dealer & some other dealers I have spoken to are using 10W50 synthetic in the latest V11s.I phoned the M/Guzzi customer help line & asked why they had changed from20W50 (in the 02 handbook) to 5W40 (in the 03 owners hand book). The Italian lady I spoke to asked me where I had heard to use 5W40 from I told her that it was in the owners hand book!She stated that the correct oil to use in the 03 V11 is 20w50 Synthetic.It has been suggested to me that the 5W40 is for the engines that are now fitted with the hydraulic tappets.Myself I am using a 20w50 mineral oil.

.It has been suggested to me that the 5W40 is for the engines that are now fitted with the hydraulic tappets

You are correct Sir. The fact that you got a manual is a good sign :D The last 3 Brevas showed up with the manuals in French :blink: 20/50 is what you should be using. They come from the factory with synthetic,but using dino is not going to void your warranty. I use the synthectic , it gets so DAMN HOT !! in the summer down here & sitting in Houston traffic it gives me peace of mind. I've been using synthetics in my 18 wheelers since 87. My 98 Pete with a Cat had 1,300,000 on when I traded it in & only replaced 2 injectors & 1 water pump. The benefits of synthetics have been documented time & time again & it's not something I'm willing to cut corners on. I dont see anybody using non- detergent anymore, but the same kind of people said the same kind of things when detergent oil came out. YMMV