Synthetic oils again and again

Guest jerroldt

Guest slowpoke

I personally use Amsoil in all my bikes except the V11 which gets Mobil 1 only because I have quite a bit of it left. The main point is to use a regular dino oil for the break-in which could vary according to each bike's run-in. I think a good number is 2500 miles on the run-in oil and then synthetic whichever brand you use. Amsoil is the original and truly fully synthetic motor oil. They make a wide range of products and back them up with full data regarding their performance characteristics. On my Triumph the manufacturer suggests fully synthetic after the first 600 miles. However, on the Moto Guzzi I would stretch that out to 2500 miles. It really does not matter that much what type of oil you use as long as you change it often. I just prefer using high grade synthetic in my bikes.

I too like the idea of a synthetic oil, however the Amsoil has included PTFE(teflon)which was determined to be the cause of the aircrafts engine failure. Likewise there was an advisory against using Amsoil in air cooled recips.