Raceco valve clearance specs.

Guest Thundering Subash

Was this ever answered? Just adjusted my valves and it seems like the valves on the left cylinder are louder than those on the right?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Ok heres what could have happened. Take the valve cover back off & reckeck the clearance of your valves. Sometimes when you tighten the small nut on the valve adjuster it will turn the adjuster knob slightly. It may seem like it didnt move at the time but the knob is very sensitive. Only an 1/8 of a turn of the knob can mean the difference between a good job & a bad job. Dont take any offense please, thats just something that I learned the hard way :luigi:

I can't tell you why, but I can suggest that this is perfectly normal. Every Guzzi I've ever owned (ok, only 6) had one side louder than the other. As I recall, on mine it has always been the left side as well. :huh2: Maybe it's a 'feature'.

You could put some of those plastic spacers between the cylinder fins- that can help with ringing (prolly won't help). I read about some folks who glued felt on the inside of their valve covers to deaden the noise, but I wouldn't recommend that.

Thanks JRT...Just needed some reinforcement as this is my first goose.

• 6 years later...

I've got a 2003 Rosso Corsa that I am searching for Fuel Injection nirvana with.

I'm not there yet but getting closer.

I had the Tuneboy work done, to rewrite the ECU.

It did a pretty good job. A little more HP a little more torque.

Still had a little of that hesitation and sputter in the 2500 to 3000 RPM range - just a little, just enough to drive me crazy.

Opened the valves to Raceco specs .20 and .25. Got the same response as everyone else. Better mid range response, more noise, not just the valves, seems exhaust note is a bit louder to.

I want it better still - My questions:

1) Anyone else getting a louder exhaust note?

2) One side effect seems to be an increase in vibration. Would this be caused by the increased valve settings or is this maybe my cylinder sync thrown off by resetting the valves? The increase vibes is enough to send me back to the original valve settings.

3) Is Fuel Injection nirvana a pipe dream?

4) My next option is to try raising the CO exhaust levels to 3% as suggested in Guzziology - anyone else try this?

Thanks in advance,

-john

Good explaination Jeff. The part that really entertains me is this whole debate. MG wanted the valves to be set at 0.006" in and 0.008" ex or 0.15mm / 0.20mm. .

Enthused by this, I set mine to these specs today. Definitely perkier to ride - and the noise! :)

For certain, changing valve settings can affect the throttle body synch.

And setting the ECU CO to zero is also good medicine.