Possum spotting in the mulga

Guest John Y

Guest John Y

I don't do much riding at night, but when I do I like to really be able to see where I'm going. That's important around here in the country as the drought has brought the kangaroos out in large numbers (two of my mates have ended up with Skippy 'hood ornaments' on their bikes in the last few months - the result is a seriously screwed up bike and injured rider). :o

The headlight on my V11 LeMans is quite good except for one thing - when it's perfectly adjusted on low beam, switching to high beam means I'm spotting possums in the trees and conversely when high beam is right, low beam illuminates the road just in front of my front wheel; not entirely satisfactory!

Is this 'gap' between filament projection normal, or is my reflector (or bulb) somehow malfunctioning?

I noticed a 'super bright' (or somesuch) conversion kit on a website - evoluzione I think - and wondered if anyone had fitted this or an alternative globe or reflector?

I'm pleased to add that that's my only, minor, gripe about my bike - a December 2002 LeMans. It has run perfectly for all of its 4,800kms and continues to get smoother as the mileage adds up, quite silky now after exhibiting quite severe vibes through the bars early on. The oval Staintune mufflers are the best sounding pipes I've ever heard on a Guzzi (or just about any bike for that matter!) and once my home-made fender eliminator and dual round taillights (I love symmetry) are fitted it will be pretty perfect! :mg:

As an aside I was lucky enough to see the MGS-01 at the Sydney Motorcycle Expo earlier this year - what a stunner! Tiny, but perfectly formed, just like Kylie Minogue... :P:

John Y

Guest JohnInNH

Yep... same here... I adjust the low beam so that the cut off is up a good ways, and like you, the high beam is a tad to high. I change it for highway with my trusty screw driver. 3 turns up so low beam works well.. That's where I fear the deer the most :o I may bring it back down just a little and find a compromise spot.

I also feel the cut off shape on lo beams is funny It's supposed to be like this:

___/ for US

\___ for UK

But is more like this: \__/

A shallow (more so than my aski art) "V" So the road in front is the limited part instead of oncoming traffic. If that make any sense to you.

I DO like the beam on my Cal-II

Guest Bruce

I got a 'brighter bulb' from Evoluzione. Actually the wattage is the same but it has a whitish-blue color which appears to be brighter. The std Guzzi light is kinda yellow. To my eyes the new bulb seems alot more visable ( which was my primary reason for the change ) and I've noticed on other bikes that the Blue-white stands out much better then the yellowish headlights. Night riding has improved from really bad to merely bad.

To me there is still too much guess work at night but for $10 it seems like a really good and easy upgrade. Others have reported substantial improvements by upgrading wire and relays. The stock arrangement leaves alot to be desired and there are some claims that 15% of the available power is consumed before reaching the bulb. Certainly possible.

I got a 'brighter bulb' from Evoluzione. Actually the wattage is the same but it has a whitish-blue color which appears to be brighter. The std Guzzi light is kinda yellow. To my eyes the new bulb seems alot more visable ( which was my primary reason for the change ) and I've noticed on other bikes that the Blue-white stands out much better then the yellowish headlights. Night riding has improved from really bad to merely bad.

To me there is still too much guess work at night but for $10 it seems like a really good and easy upgrade. Others have reported substantial improvements by upgrading wire and relays. The stock arrangement leaves alot to be desired and there are some claims that 15% of the available power is consumed before reaching the bulb. Certainly possible.

Hi Bruce,

Can you tell a bit more about that "Evoluzione" thingie, as I also hate to be left in the dark? Is it something that you get at the local gas station or do you have to go somewhere else?

I've also tried to adjust the low beam but Danish car drivers don't seem to appreciate my efforts :luigi: Alternatively I have some plans about changing to Xenon lights as I have on my Ford Mondeo, but it's expensive, unfortunately.

Keep the sticky side of the tyres down!

Søren Tikkanen, Denmark

Guest Bruce

Hi Soren,

I ordered the bulb from www.evoluzione.net while I was ordering the footpeg relocator. The bulb looks to be something that you could probably source locally as shipping costs from So Cal to Denmark are probably higher than the cost of the bulb. BTW Evoluzione was great to deal w/, everything was here ( 3000 miles away) in two days as standard service!

As previously mentioned the new bulb is brighter but still not great. The roads here are windy, lots of holes, gravel here and there, no street lights, and lots of critters around, (though if I see a Kangaroo I'm done) so I try to avoid night riding.

If I were going to ride much at night I'd do the wiring and relay upgrade for sure and try a 100watt bulb, all quite cheap if you know the ways of the wiley electrons. Given the power losses in the wiring probably not a good idea to just pop in a 100watt bulb w/o some more robust wiring, etc. You may learn first hand about what engineers call "the smoke test" :nerd: .There is lots of recent info on the forum about just this topic.

As far as glasses go different types can make a big difference at night

There is a thread on the "Sylvania Silver Star" worth reading. It is a whiter bulb without a big increase in wattage. Indeed the stock wiring sends all this current through the switch which is suspect even at the stock wattages.

And there is no geater electrical problem than getting the smoke back in the wires. :rasta:

I picked up a pair of "superwhite" bulbs off of ebay cheap (IIRC $8.99). Same wattage as stock. Great improvement! Not only is everything clearer, but my friends say I am much more visible. The bulb is blue but the light is very white with just a hint of blue. So far haven't been hassled by the man for it.

Rj