Stucci x-over finish/color - a long-term match?

al_roethlisberger

Hi,

This may seem like a minor nit to pick, but I though I'd ask about it...

I just received my Stucci x-over, and I noticed that it appears to indeed be a "satin" SS finish, but it's more of a stippled finish versus the brushed finish on the OEM pipes/x-over/headers.

I was wondering if the Stucchi is solid SS(as this "stippled" silver finish almost looks sprayed on like a ceramic coating) and if over time the Stucci will oxidize to the same gold patina as the rest of the OEM SS exhaust system??

Anybody had one long enough to know?

thx!

al

I am not sure exactly what you mean by all these finish description but when I got mine the first impression was that it was somewhat different color.

But after some time it kind of blended in and now seems to fit the rest of exhaust better colorwise AND shapewise. My wife said that it looked more stock then the stock one.

The finish that comes on the Stucchi is a bead blasted finish. It is not brushed or polished. The difference is much more noticeable when new. After a few miles the color will change and match the header pipes.

Mike

Guest rotorhead

FWIW, I had all of my pipes ceramic coated in the brushed aluminum appearance. they never discolor, fade, or otherwise tarnish and always look good. Only cost alittle over a hundred bucks. I put Staintune cans on and removed the nozzle on the back. Sounds and looks nice.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

Steel wool can be a "seed" for rust. Avoid cleaning your bike with steel wool.

I don't know if they will warrant the rust, but it is worth a complaint. Also I have heard if oxygen gets into the welds it can cause stainless steel to rust at the weld.

I've actually noticed a little bit of discoloration that I've taken to be rust on the top of my headers, right after they exit the head. I've been riding in rain a lot recently, although it occurs to me that the headers should be the least likely part to rust, since they get the warmest, and presumably vaporize water on contact (unless I'm unaware of some interaction that happens after they've cooled off).

• 3 weeks later...

I too have a little "rust", in my case on the "inside/top" of the right header as it begins its curve down and back toward the x-over. It's just a small patch, maybe a cm across, and it nearly polishes off with a cloth.

I've seen several other V11s that have similar spots throughout the curve of the headers, so I guess it's not uncommon, although my SS headers on my old FJ never rusted at all. So I dunno....

Also, BTW, as predicted... even with only running it for a total of about 20 minutes while I'm waiting on my PC to arrive... the Stucci x-over has already turned a near perfect gold-toned match to the headers. I thought, "wow, that was quick!" :)

So, no problemo!

al