Final drive reaction rod (part 2)

guzzi323

Well I just went through my second set of bushings in the 'reaction rod' on the final drive box. That makes two in twenty thousand miles. To be honest, I was expecting this. The first one started sloughing off little shreads of rubber after a few thousand miles and the second one was no different. I think I've found the real problem however. It appears that the front mounting point for the arm isn't in line with the rear. This will put side loads on the rubber bushings which with a little suspension movement adds up to little pieces of rubber falling out.

I went and had delrin bushings made and went to refit the rod when I discovered that the reaction rod (please lets keep this clean, shall we? :blush: ) appears to not to have been perfectly true. A slight bend and also a slight twist to it really made fitting it with the less flexible delrin impossible. I ended up filing the bushings by hand to get it to fit. Now it's nice and snug and I actually believe it will stay fixed.:luigi: It's possible that the rod damage happened when my machinist was pressing out the bushings, we'll never know for sure but I know the mounts don't line up.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably use a threaded strut and heim joints like the Daytona's use. This would deal with minor misalignments without the hand fitting/hand filing that I had to do.

For future posts, can we call this thing a final drive stay arm or something like that?? Writing about reactions rods on the internet early in the morning makes me feel dirty..

Happy Friday people!!

I have about 3000m on the set of derlin bushings I made for my 02 Le Mans. They are holding up quite well thank you.

Be sure to put a insert in the center for the bolt to go through.

If anyone needs a really technical write up I will spend the time to do that, ...I 'm a really slow typer.

I can't imagine the torque arm bending. I could push my old bushings out by hand.

Surely a piss poor design by Guidio's cousins nephews uncle. :blink:

cheers andy

If I were to do it again, I'd probably use a threaded strut and heim joints like the Daytona's use. This would deal with minor misalignments without the hand fitting/hand filing that I had to do.

Happy Friday people!!

Man,

I do not know how you go though those bushings. I have 30,000 miles on my 00 V11Sport and they show no signs of wear.

But your idea with the heim joints seems like a perfect idea. :thumbsup:

Mike

Man,

I do not know how you go though those bushings. I have 30,000 miles on my 00 V11Sport and they show no signs of wear.

It appears that the front mounting point is offset from the mount on the final drive box. That misalignment would explain why most people don't have a problem. If things are straight there isn't any side loading on ther rubber bushing and it'll work fine.

That's my theory, at least.. Hopefully all is well now.

Guest Graham in NZ

Final drive case reaction stay

The bolts at each end of this stay on my bike, and my friend's, were not properly tightened as delivered, so that the gear case could be moved back and forth slightly by hand. Since tighteneing the bolts all has been well. The only thing which might make the stay-end rubber torsional-bushes give trouble would be poor alignment. Perhaps the thing to check is that the swinging arm is located centrally between the "pork chop" frame side plates.

Graham