Vancouver Island..here I come...

Guest dkgross

Guest dkgross

Aug 1,2,3..and maybe 4. Visiting a friend about 20 miles south of Nanimo on Sunday and hanging there sunday night...THen...I've got monday and Tuesday and maybe even wednesday to play and ride and stuff :)

the cell phone is always on...so anyone that wants to hook up, just ring.

206-779-1671

now...if I can just figure the ferry thing out...not sure if I want to go to Vancouver, or to Port Angeles...

I would look carefully into the Port Angeles ferry...It is my favorite for car use but it is usually a fairly rough ride while out in the middle of the Straight. The currents crossing the ferry's path are good and strong. Not sure if I would trust my bike not to get knocked over while it crosses the straights. I've heard the ferry will try and tie your bike down or against the wall of the deck or something, but I have never actually seen a bike onboard during a crossing. I have used the BC ferry out of Tsawwassen once with a bike and it just like our WA state ferries...only nicer IMHO.

Sounds like a great time and your weather forecast looks awesome so far!

Randy

Don't forget to stock up on Nanaimo Bars!

Yum!

I haven't had one of those in over ten years!

But you can probably get them in Seattle....not San Diego, to my knowledge.

I wish you smooth sailing.

I took a slightly rough fairy once, the bike made it, but I was nervous, and they would not let me go below to watch it.... :unsure:

Guest dkgross

mmm..Nanimo bars...mmmmm

I'm still checking into ferry issues. The Tsawwassen one just looks like it's a lot further out of the way, driving wise....Early in the AM on sunday, the ride out to Port Angeles should be pretty fast :)

but...also, there's an 8:15am boat from Anacortes to Sidney, BC. I've never been through the San Juans, so I might just do that. Only takes 90 mintues that early in the am on a sunday to get to Anac from Seattle :)

depending on if I hook up with other Guzzisti, I might just do Sunday/sunday night on the island, then head inland on monday and head towards Whistler :) Probably just going to be pretty spontanious all the way around and see what the weather (and my VISA) want to do.

Anyone here in Sidney or Victoria that wants to meet me at the Sidney dock at 10:15 am??

Guest sixspeed

I haven’t tried the ferry out of PA with my Guzzi yet, but it is definitely the quickest way from Seattle to Victoria. If you spend any time in Port Angeles let me know, there are some great roads out here. :bike:

Guest dkgross

hey six..thanks! I've done lots of those cool roads up that way. haven't done hurricane ridge in a few years though.

pretty sure I'm doing the Anacortes route through the islands. should be great!

now the trick will be if I want to get up on monday am and head towards Whistler....got a few maps today. wheeee..THAT looks like a lot of fun...

Maybe I'm being risky, but one of the things I love to do is be spontanious with my travels, and that tends to include NOT booking hotel rooms...Just riding till the early afternoon, then finding a room...

how difficult is this to do in the Whistler area, and/or if I decide to head up 99 towards Mt currie/Lillooet and down 12 to 1 throught the fraser river area..the Map looks cool...am I going to be able to find a place to stay for the night?

At this point, I'm traveling alone..but any of you that want to join me, I'd love some company.

Guest Brian Robson

Sorry I won't be able to join you, as I'm on call, but we did the Whistler/Pemberton/Duffy Lake/Lilloet/Lytton/Hope/Vancouver loop last weekend.

There are a lot of roadworks on the Whistler road, and try to do it early in the am.

The Duffy lake road is wonderful and it was quite free from gravel, but please be careful. If the Whistler road (the Sea to Sky Highway) can nibble at you, the Duffy lake road can really bite. It is very exciting, with wonderful curves, ascents and descents but watch out for the frost heaves and any loose surfaces.

Have a safe ride :bike::bike::bike:

Finding a room in Whistler will be expensive, but there are several bed and breakfasts in Pemberton, and Lilloet has a couple of motels and some B & B's. I am like you and start to look for a place as the day ends. You'll be fine. Enjoy.

Guest dkgross

coool..great advice. Much thanks!!!

I don't mind the long boat ride, hence the 8am ferry. It'll be relaxing.

I've been reading the BC Road reports to try and keep up with the construction stuff...again..thanks for the advice. Sorry no-one can join me :(

I've checked my 'on-road' repair kit...Got my flat tire repair kit, my first aid kit, and I've Got my VISA and my Cell Phone...sure hope T-Mobile works up in the Great White North :)

Guest dkgross

Back home in Seattle with a pretty sick bike :( Just repeating the same stuff. 700 miles since the first symptoms kinda rules out bad fuel...

Special thanks to Brian for meeting me in Canada, and taking me on a specatular ride through the mountians. photos to come later. Brian had a chance to experience the bikes symptoms as well.

I spent the night at a hotel right near the Guzzi dealer in Chilliwak that Brian spoke highly of...hoping to get in this am...but, alas, they were closed for the BC Day Canadian holiday.

so, I just limped her back home to Seattle and dropped her off at Moto I with a pretty specific list of symptons and 'suggestions".

Micha's first reaction was 'fuel pump and relays". We'll see.

thanks again, Brian..Pleasure meeting and riding with ya.