Scura goes in for OHLINS work..........

dbdicker

Hi all,

I'm going to replay this post, which got started on a different thread on seats; I think it's important enough for other V11 owners with standard Ohlins suspension (Scura/Rosso/Nero etc...) to know about this other option:

Hi Ralph,

I know there's been some heated discussion on this forum over Ohlins kit so I've stayed away from it.

Meanwhile, this has been my experience: I've owned Ohlins before on other bikes and found it to be the most compliant and wonderful addition to make to a bike, a major reason why I bought the Scura which came with the 'upgraded' suspension. However, from day one, I was really unimpressed with the ride from my 02: Harsh, not progressive, and generally giving less information from the contact patches. I never felt like I was 'sinking down' into the road, more like I was chattering across it.

From the discussions here, as well as from talking to Todd Eagan and others, it's pretty much the consensus that the Ohlins kit was built exclusively for MG with track valving and springs suited for race 'built' guys of around 170-180 lbs..............not what aftermarket ohlins suspension is usually sold for most street duty. I called Ohlins USA to see who was capable of sorting out the suspension for me; of course, I was already annoyed that the 'upgrade' I was supposedly paying for was in reality probably quite inferior in practice to the 'standard' suspension on other V11's and LeMans's . I didn't sweat it much since I had bought the Scura as a leftover and paid peanuts for it; still it's been a hell of a hassle so far sorting it out..........we'll still get to see how expensive, too.

Anyway, the Ohlins guys recommended Jim at propilot for my modification work. Very few people in the country have access to real ohlins springs and valve kits and are capable of really doing right by the job; My dealer, for example, as much as admitted that the shock was incorrectly valved but he was unable to obtain the correcting parts from Ohlins. However, just seeing Jim's workshop convinces me that he is one who Ohlins USA has wisely put their trust in to correctly modify their equipment: clean and large with measurement equipment and hundreds of springs lined up on the shelves.............neat. If you happen really fine wrencher (I couldn't imagine being able to remove my own forks and reinstalling them, although I know many of you can) , Jim offers a special box to ship your shock/forks into him and with static measurements you provide on a questionnaire, he will do what is necessary to make your suspension (even if it's not ohlins) perform to its best abilities. He's a race guy first and foremost, but clearly knows what's different about the street. Check out his website and give him a call. Most impressive.

I'll be getting my bike back in about a week and will report again on the *hopefully* improvement along with costs. Todd's also asked me to write up the experience for his website and I'll do that after logging a few hundred miles on the new improved stuff...........assuming it's improved :)

PRO PILOT RACING

Dan

Thanks for that info. I'm 175 lbs and ride conservatively so I unloaded the forks and rear somewhat. I would agree that the extra cost for MG Ohlins doesn't seem justified at this point

I'll keep Pro Pilot Racing on file.

Dan,

What is your weight? I'm 83 kg = 182 pounds? , and I found the scura with standard springs pretty comfortable. Front softer than rear. I had the forrk seals replaced, while one wasn't 100%dry. The one who did it ( dutch ohlins importer) said these forks are the same as the road and tracks forks. Nothing cheap on these.

Paul,

You're right.........nothing cheap at all.........just wrong for the intended use. Apparently, MG wanted to make the Scura/Rosso/Nero their 'super sport' version of the V11. Ohlins took this to mean to equip with track-spec kit.......which they summarily did.

For a guy like you, Paul, after seeing your site...........I can imagine that you were happy with the stock Scura suspension.........you look like a hell of a racer and your weight is correct for the springs.

As for me..........ahem...........I'm a bit.......uh..........larger. At 6'2" and 240lbs., the stock setup is clearly very, very wrong for me. Also, I imagine that I'm not the screaming scraper that you are. I appreciate shock absorbers that, uh.......absorb shocks...........race tracks are noticeably smoother than the stuff I normally ride on. When I jump on other pals' bikes, they all feel better to me.......recently I rode my friend's Ducati S4 and I felt I could go faster and be more confident with it. His bike had Sachs suspension and, I believe, ohlins forks.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that the equipment that Ohlins has been making for the MG 'sport' models hasn't changed since '02 and they continue to fit the new Cafe/Coppa etc. with the same race-spec kit; my service tech in NYC (Aprilia of NYC) told me that they are all the same..........(although he could be wrong).

Dan

What I'm wondering is, do the newer models IE Copa Cabana, Nero ,Rosso & so on, do they use the same spring rates & valving as the older Scura's ?

No they do not... I have no answer as to what they do use, just yet. However, at quick glance the axle diameter hints to a Ducati/Aprilia unit. The '04 newer Guzzi/Ohlins suspenders seem much better dialed for the bike. Not an easy swap to an older bike though it seems. I'll continue to poke around until I find the answer.

As Al mentioned, I am still digging on sourcing Marzocchi's high-end fully adjustable forks. Really nice pieces, and hey, they're black... which suits the Jackal-nator motif.

$.02 Todd

Guest Gary Cheek

Sooooooooooo....

IF you expect to get a lot for your considerable extra $$$ on the SCURA , you MAY be a bit DISSAPOINTED with the out -of -the - box OHLEENS ?

Sounds familiar -_-

It only costs a lot of extra $$ to go first class ,then a lot of extra $$ to make it a little bit better .

It's only money , I don't mind personally ,but SOME folks just might want to know .Of course a poser would want them either way :blink:

Burn baby ,BURN :rasta:

Guest v11jap

Hi there,

i now have Pauls scura after owning a 2000 v11 sport and for me 85 kg 1.82 it is just perfect when compared with the v11 sport it is just a whole lott better suspension wise i never expected it to be that much better. But my brother in law who's about 100 kg preverred the v11 sport for the suspension strangely enough...

in my opinion ohlins= :notworthy::notworthy:

ciao

jasper

PS last week the second visit of the scura to his homegrounds of Italia and it is just briljant.... 12 hour days of just little roads.... perfect :mg: the bridgestone 020 are wearing pretty quickly though... no sides left!!! enough center that's pretty amazing for a moderate rider like me so i say it's the suspension!!

ciao

jap

, at quick glance the axle diameter hints to a Ducati/Aprilia unit

What i've seen is that the foot's are different machined, but are from the same piece of alu. The foots are now the same as the rsv-r from 2000-2002. That's why the front mudgard from the rsv fits nice:-) But the ohlins importer told me that only real difference between all road and tracks forks are the upper legs, machined to fit the triple clamps they are made for. Besides that the springs and valves are adjusted to the bike, or whishes from manufacturer. Inner legs are all the same.

My Scura seems well set up for me at 147lbs...I suspect the previous owner may have been of similar build.

I don't know what the settings are but am loath to change them.

In thirty years of riding I have never owned or ridden anything that comes close.....I started out being objective and was just blown away by it.....Secure, comfortable, compliant & precise....

Nige. :helmet:

Guest Neronut

At 235 lb before boots and such, I was hammered by the front suspension until I cranked the springs on my '04 Nero' Ohlins to the stops. It is O.K. for now but the change I have seen proves to me that I need it resprung to fit my current excessive, non-race ready weight. Rear Ohlins shocked suspension was fine after adding a few turns. :luigi:

My Scura seems well set up for me at 147lbs...I suspect the previous owner may have been of similar build.

I don't know what the settings are but am loath to change them.

In thirty years of riding I have never owned or ridden anything that comes close.....I started out being objective and was just blown away by it.....Secure, comfortable, compliant & precise....

Nige. :helmet:

I'll echo that , Nige eventhough I'm 6'4" and weighs 190 lbs.

I've already fondled with the front suspension, but I have returned to the standard setup, as it suits my riding style the best.

I'm a moderate 'racer' (no hang outs and knee scraping; haven't got the balls for that I suppose) but nonetheless I managed to keep up with a bunch of riders on their suicide japs, who went racing the Kenny Roberts way. In fact I couldn't help laughing, because they really attacked the corners and I just followed suit the old fart way ^_^

Öhlins or bust!

Søren