A $2 Oil filter cover removal tool

Guest jerroldt

Guest jerroldt

I was going to drop the sump pan for the first maintenance period and then thought what the heck! I don't take the oil pan off my truck or my car when I change oil. I ordered a pan gasket and may use it at about 6K miles when I clean the crud from the pan. Anyway I bought a bolt with a 1 1/16 hex head and ground the flats to 27MM and then drilled a hole in it for a screwdriver or 1/4 inch socket extention.

Is that electrical tape wrapped around the threads and the head?

Interesting solution! I'm a little concerned that it might not be 'beefy' enough for the job, though :lol:

J

Guest northend

The two sided cheapy socket that comes with the tool kit that I believe fits the spark plugs, also fits the "manhole" and it already has a hole in it for a screw driver :thumbsup::grin:

Guest Jeff Kelland

I made a tool for mine out of a bolt also. Instead of drilling a hole, I just spun a nut on the end of the bolt and welded it in place. Plenty of beef! Just put the bolt head in the manhole cover and use a big wrench to take it out. Go easy when tightening, you can get an awful lot of leverage. :luigi:

Me too. I just put two nuts on the end of the bolt and tightened them together so they line up, then wrote "Guzzi oil plug wrench " in Sharpie pen on it. The wrench thing in my kit slips before it makes enough torque. No tool box should be without a Sharpie; great tool for touching up chipped or rubbed off paint, too.

Axle nut is an elegant solution, too.

Diseased minds think alike?

Guest jerroldt

Yes, that is electrical tape on the flats. I put it on to help get a snug fit when tapping it into place and to prevent the bolt head from moving around and possibly shearing some of the aluminum from the cover. I Guzzied up the rest of the bolt with some more tape and a cap plug. Idle time!

Guest northend

I still don't understand why you all are making tools when the one in the tool kit works fine :huh2: .

I guess I just wish I had that much spare time on my hands <_<

Maybe we should compare the contents of the '03 vs '00 tool kits - start a thread? That would be a good use of time...

Me too. I just put two nuts on the end of the bolt and tightened them together so they line up, then wrote "Guzzi oil plug wrench " in Sharpie pen on it. The wrench thing in my kit slips before it makes enough torque. No tool box should be without a Sharpie; great tool for touching up chipped or rubbed off paint, too.

Axle nut is an elegant solution, too.

Diseased minds think alike?

The axle nut is like your American Express. You don't leave home without it. If you do you are going to have problems down the road.