Ignition Button

Guest erikhorton

Guest erikhorton

I've got about 1200 miles on my Ballabio. I've had a problem starting the bike about 3 times now. The first time I start the bike, on a given day, or, after the bike sits for 5+ hours is when it has happened. I turn the key, the normal lights come on, the fuel pump (I guess) whirrs, the bike is in neutral (I'm positive it is, I've pushed it back into the garage), and I press the ignition switch and nothing happens. Nothing.

After numerous verbal vulgarities and fiddling with the gear lever to ensure a neutral position, it will finally hit and start. Anyone got the same problems or any ideas what it may be?

Guest Gary Cheek

The relay ,contrary to common complaint is not the prime suspect in your case . The clutch switch is a major source as is the start button itself . Try pulling the clutch lever while you hold the start button down . Sometimes a few pull / release cycles will get a response . It helps to let the lever spring back on it's own .

After a quick check however it is best to get the test light or meter out along with the schematic and get a good look .

Always a fan of the common relay problem...if it is the relay, it is most likely the forward most sitting relay.

But to support Gary's contention of a relay not being the prime suspect, I don't think the Balabio's were likely to have starter relay problems like the early sports did.

All the same, it is easy to test the relay by swapping with an identical one.

I had a problem before that looked like the clutch swithch, but turned out to be the starter relay.

The symtom was identical to yours.

With the bike in Neutral, holding in the starter button, I could get it to start after a few of the ol' in-outs on the clutch lever...but replacing the relays fixed the problem....strange, and that particular problem never resurfaced.

I got this symptom appearing more and more often until I had to fix it. I knew it was the starter motor solenoid sticking after reading one of the threads on this forum. Cleaning the starter motor was pretty easy and I noticed that there was a bit of corrosion that could have affected the motor badly if I had not intervened.

A further symptom was that the 15A starter fuse would occasionally blow when I pressed the button...

So your problem could be that - a gummed-up starter solenoid...

Guest whidbeyrider

I had this problem with my 2003 LeMans, and I got it started by cycling the kill switch while holding the start button. Moto International in Seattle told me the problem with the Lemans is in the kill switch, and they said they will rewire the circut to the starter which will fix the problem. Cycling the kill switch while holding the start switch will work for a year or so. I may take the starter/kill switch assembly off and replace with a steel starter button.

Guest steveguzzi

I get the same problem on my LeMans. Following advice in this forum, I "cure" the problem by moving the handlebars full left, then right, and it always starts right up. Sort of a regular routine now. One day I'll get it fixed <_<

Steve

I get the same problem on my LeMans. Following advice in this forum, I "cure" the problem by moving the handlebars full left, then right, and it always starts right up. Sort of a regular routine now. One day I'll get it fixed <_>

Steve

I had that on my G5. It was the big connector that went through the headlight (corrosion). Turning the bars one way then the other would cure if for awhile, but eventually I had to replace the connector.

J

• 3 months later...
I got this symptom appearing more and more often until I had to fix it. I knew it was the starter motor solenoid sticking after reading one of the threads on this forum. Cleaning the starter motor was pretty easy and I noticed that there was a bit of corrosion that could have affected the motor badly if I had not intervened.

A further symptom was that the 15A starter fuse would occasionally blow when I pressed the button...

So your problem could be that - a gummed-up starter solenoid...

32673[/snapback]

Roberto,

I think I might be experiencing something similar to what you're describing. After waiting for the fuel injection whir, I press the starter button and sometimes the engine seems to kick partway, then get stuck; sometimes just a pained click and moan that I'm guessing is the starter motor. Is there a thread that describes how to clean the solenoid, or might you be able to describe it a bit?

thanks a million,

joshua

Joshua,

Sounds like you aren't getting enough juice to the starter. The solenoid is probably ok. Common problems with your symptoms are poor ground, poor hot connection, or weak battery. Clean the battery and the frame connections.

Don't lean on the starter- the valeo units are not very robust and can overheat if you keep the button pushed down too long.

Jason

Erik

as mentioned above, it could be relay, clutch switch or starter solenoid, the later one happened to me and I only found out by briefly pressing the starter button and hitting the starter motor at the same time (not too hard although by then it was lucky not to get a good thrashing), it then fired instantly. Not entirely foolproof but quick and worth a try.

good luck

Mal :helmet:

Joshua,

I'm not sure if your problem is the solenoid.

However, I got instructions to clean the solenoid from a previous thread. Search for "valeo" in the forum. For example:

John's starter problems

I followed the instructions from a BMW site:

Valeo Starter Overhaul

All went very well and I have not had any problems since.

Roberto.

i finally removed the tank yesterday and found my clutch connection all jammied up....def. the source of my ignition switch problem!!! say goodbye to mr. clutch swtich!!

DIelectric grease on every connection!!!!!!

next onto the sidestand switch!!! do they sell a plug for this? I know for the Ducati someone made a plug to by pass it..... Also I had a problem with my headlight, horn and brake light not working! thinking that the previous owner changed out the relays recently to the Bosch type= no problem.....wrong....bad relay!!!!! :homer: