running rough on an empty tank

rossojoj

dear guzzi experts

I have a 2004 V11 Ballabio (3000km in 3 weeks and still climbing). Its now generally running very nicely, but perhaps the idle is a bit fast.

The main problem is that whenever the tank reaches less than 1/3 full the bike is reluctant to start and runs very badly - stalling alot, bad vibrations etc. until thoroughly warmed up.

I have checked for vapour lock (opening the lid) and it does not seem to be the problem ;) . As soon as I fill the tank it runs alot better, in fact perfect :D . This is frustrating as I basically have to refill as soon as the fuel light comes on (about 240-250km) when I know it has another 50-70km useable range.

Should I drain the tank and give it a rinse?

Is it water or something at the bottom of the tank?

Any other suggestions as to what might cause this?

All help and advice much appreciated as ever. Keen to get around this and increase my riding time while the summer lasts :bike:

Jonathan

thanks all. this seems consistent as it just feels like its run out of fuel, even though you can still see the stuff sloshing around in the tank at the bottom.

I have downloaded the Workshop Manual but have not taken the tank off yet so this will be a challenge.

Presumably it should be easy to find the inlet pipe to the fuel tank, even for me :doh:

Will let you know if I have any luck.

Jon

p.s looks like a great evening for another route around the Black Forest - 25C and sunny/clear skies (for a change!).

If your bike has the fuel pump and filter inside the tank perhaps the inlet connection is loose allowing it to draw air instead of fuel.

finally found the time to take the tank off. the internal fuel pump does not have an inlet pipe as such - just a gauze bag filter, and loop of tube going though the fuel filter, all of which are mounted of a 6-bolt plate on the rear right lower side of the tank.

I could not see any way to detach the two fuel lines going to taps on this plate so just flipped the tank and took out the 6 bolts.

How do you disconnect these strange pressure/hose connectors?

As has been mentioned on other threads there is about 1 to 1.5 litres of fuel that are in the lower left half of the tank that we all carry around with us but can never use! A connector tube would be pretty useful, but perhaps not worht the risk of destroying a tank. might try to find an expert to fit it for me.

cheers

Jonathan.

See the following thread for answers to a couple of your questions:

2003 Tank Retrofit Thread

And here's the method for disconnecting the fuel quick-connects:

"wiggle" while pulling on the hose, and pushing firmly on the gray collar..... and they'll pop right off :thumbsup: The first time is usually the hardest, as they tend to stick. But once you've done it a few times, it becomes easy.

• 5 weeks later...

I grabbed this from the Wildguzzi board. It may be applicable here.

Has any one been riding there 2003 or newer EV or stone with an internal fuel pump and the bike will just stop running. You get spark your fuel injectors are working and the fuel pump kicks on every time you turn the key on but the bike will just not fire up. Well here is the problem and I suggest you take a look at it this ASAP because it will leave you stranded and it is not a one man side of the road fix. A man came in yesterday to pick up some parts for his 2003 EV II and not even a half mile down the road the bike stalls and shut down and he lives 75 miles away so this is not good. I go pick him up and bring him back to the shop and on some of these bikes on the internal fuel pump there is a crimped clamp on a clear hose that connects the fuel pump to the fuel filter and then to the outlet. Well the crimped clam comes loose and the hose falls off and the fuel pump just picks up fuel and circulates it in side the tank and not to the outlet. The fix is to take the tank off and unbolt the fuel pump and remove it from the tank (preferably with no fuel) which is a big pain in the but. On the crimped clamp cut it off and replace it with an actual hose clamp. The fuel pump and the fuel filter are actually suppose to be ziptied together and inserted back in to the tank but I found this impossible. So after you put the hose back on the pump with a good hose clamp insert the fuel filter in first and then the fuel pump back into the tank (a bigger pain in the but) put the tank back on and it should fire right up and you will be on your way but if this happens on the road it is a tough fix. Hope this help you out so you don't get stranded.

Jason Speaker

SPEAKER's CYCLES

Steubenville, OH

(740) 282-5399