Tank circles (any thoughts)

Guest Thundering Subash

Guest Thundering Subash

Sorry, I'm not able to post pictures at this time :pic: , but wanted to float this out to others on the forum for a response.

This summer, small raised circles suddently appeared on the tank of my '02 Lemans. Their are three of them, smaller than a dime, on the top right side of the tank, evenly spaced about 4-5 inches apart.

I have no idea how they came about, they just suddenly appeared one day (or at least I suddenly noticed them), just like a crop circle. :blink:

I've got my bike at the dealer checking on it and another issue. They're not optimistic that it will be covered under warranty, but are giving it the old college try. While I'm grateful it's not real noticeable and doesn't affect the running of my bike, I'm of the mind set that it's a factory defect or problem that should be addressed by MG.

Has anyone else heard of or experienced this tank circle phenomenom? :huh2:

-Chris :mg::bike:

I've noticed a few, small depressions in my tank that weren't there when the bike was new :o . I'm not going to worry too much as the polymer tank on my Triumph developed a couple little dimples too and they haven't gotten any worse. Raised bumps sounds like bubbling and you'd think that they would cover it under warranty. Even if they did, it might take a very looong time to get a replacement.

I don't have these (that I know of) and I know this is a really lousy suggestion, but how do you feel about tankbags? Just pull an ostrich on it, and cover up the problem.

On the plus side- I really like having a tank bag- holds a sixpack (bottles, of course) just right.

J

• 3 weeks later...

Mine did the same, a search should turn up my thread on the subject with some photos of my defect. Eventually the "bump" split and the paint started to come off. It started out as a barely visible "crevasse" in the paint under the clear coat and eventually got worse over time.

MG replaced the entire tank under warrantee with no questions, and pretty quickly too I must say :thumbsup:

I suspect that eventually the paint will separate, so the options are a tank repaint or a new one. I don't know the cause, but I can only speculate that there was something contaminating the tank surface(like a finger print) when painted and/or tank-suck causing the failure in the finish.

Sorry to hear about it though.

al