Aftermarket fairings

Guest motomaniac

Guest motomaniac

First time poster, long time rider.

Has anyone seen or heard of any worthwhile aftermarket fairings/windscreens to replace the hideous OEM pile on a Ballabio?

Guest motomaniac

I'm in South Carolina.

I had looked at the Magni fairing of which you speak, but it was a little bit more cash that I had wanted to hand out.

I like the looks of the old LM1 fairing, but I don't konw if there's anyway to fit that on a Ballabio.

I'm biased toward my R90S fairing. The Stucchi fairing looks pretty good too, and several sizes of screen can be fitted to address how much protection you want.

I think Carl Allison was threatening to mount a Daytona fairing on his. Lot's of options.

J

Guest motomaniac

I've noticed, but I may be mistaken, that some V11's look like the headlight/dash are mounted with the forks, meaning they turn with the handlebars.

My Ballabio's headlight/dash is mounted on a long neck from the frame and stays stationary when turning. Is this going to be a problem in finding a new fairing. Has anyone messed around with this setup? Or am I completely confused?

I've noticed, but I may be mistaken, that some V11's look like the headlight/dash are mounted with the forks, meaning they turn with the handlebars.

My Ballabio's headlight/dash is mounted on a long neck from the frame and stays stationary when turning.  Is this going to be a problem in finding a new fairing.  Has anyone messed around with this setup?  Or am I completely confused?

34176[/snapback]

Ah...So that is probably why they look so weird....A handlebar fairing that isn't mounted to the forks. <_>

The one on my Scura is closely mounted to the handlebar area. I just wish there was a taller screen option for it! :(

Nige. :helmet:

And I thought I was the only one who thought the Ballabio was goofy looking with that protrusion of a headlight/fairing. What were they thinking?

I don't think the Givi I have on my bike would help out, as the Givi is more or less dependent on the headlight bolts and brackets for mounting.

I'd go for the Magni, and eliminate all that stuff up front.

Ciao, Steve G.

I think Carl Allison was threatening to mount a Daytona fairing on his. Lot's of options.

Not exactly an idle threat, I have the lowers on order. I already have the fairing, front sub-frame, headlight and mirrors. Now I have to work up an instrument mount and some sort of bracket for the mirror part of the fairing, since the early Daytona fairing mounts a bit differently than the Sport 1100i/Daytona RS types. Then it's off to the paint shop, and the wheels off to the powder coater.

I do have a spare Daytona RS fairing if you're interested. If you want to go that route, contact Pete Morcombe at http://www.rebootguzzispares.com/. That's where I got a mount from, but since it was for the Euro headlight, it had to be modified. I don't know what types of mounts he has, but he does have several Sport 1100's in his pile of parts. Those fairings are generally trashed tough. There are other options. If you want awkward, I also have a Vesco Rabid Transit fairing that's intended for my California. I can't image that on a V11 Sport. Guess I'll have to try that too just to see how ridiculous it would look. I got the Sport 1100 fairing and the Rabid Transit fairing from eBay. It pays to keep your eyes open. The early Daytona fairing was obtained through the classifieds on either MGNOC or Wild Guzzi, I don't recall which.

This (was) a 2001 V11 Sport TT (black tank and seat cover, silver bodywork every where else, one of 15 put together by MGNA for the U.S. market). A year ago, it was totalled when my neighbor backed out of his driveway at a pretty good clip and I smacked into his Toyota Camry removing the bumper and mangling the bike pretty good. I got some some scrapes and a really interesting brake lever shaped bruise on my right foot and some trachea damage from the helmet strap. Nothing serious.

But the bike... Ah well. Let me just say that if you hit something with a V11 Sport, you should remove the tank and give the spine a seriously intense inspection. Any bend at all and the bike is toast as the damage migrates through a lot of places in the frame, engine and transmission. It may not be readily apparent, but a few more thousand miles of riding will reveal numerous problems.

I had already taken the insurance payoff and the pink slip for the bike (no salvage title either!). I wished I hadn't, I could have easily bought a Corsa Rossa model. Well, maybe, but the wife decreed no more bikes, so I bought a Dual 2Ghz G5 Macintrash with the 23" monitor instead. But I digress.

The V11 Sport was brought back to like September 22, 2004 with a trip down the block. The registration has expired and I don't have the mirrors or horns on it, but other than that, it's whole again. But it's whole with a whole different twist. WP suspension fore and aft, 1996 Sport 1100i spine modified for the V11 Sport swingarm. The frame is powder coated silver. Sport 1100i silver sideplates grace the bike this week, since I stripped the threads out of the original swingarm mount plates during reassembly. They were powder coated black along with the billet rear brake lever and shift lever (I have a spare of each too, going on the theory that if you have it, you'll never need it - which means I should never crash again!!! Yeah, right...) There are a LOT of differences requiring modification to component mounts, steering head lock (the V11 Sport triple tree has 1 cm less trail, making it an interference fit with the steering lock on the Sport 1100i frame - out with hacksaw and file!). I used up every explitive in my vocabulary more times than I want to think about. It was a very frustrating experience. Never again. At the same time as this, I also got my 97 California back together (18 months downtime) and my 97 Sport 1100i running (badly - 2 years downtime) and the V65C modified for real handlebar switches and throttle setup instead of the cheesy crap the MG put on them. All in all, a busy year.

Now, after the lengthy missive above, you can see (approximately), what a V11 Sport would look like with a Sport 1100 fairing (very nearly the same as a Daytona RS fairing) and an early MG Daytona fairing (way different), followed by a VERY nice Sport 1100 with an early daytona fairing with the aftermarket lowers. The fourth picture is from the Megola web site. They have some unbelievable weight measurements for their bike, but it sure is a beaut. I like the paint job and I'm going to copy it. I have no idea what kind of fairing they have, but it would also look great on a V11 Sport.

The plan is to do the same fairing setup on the V11 Sport. This is one that I definitely do not want to drop. We're talking nearly $3000 worth of fairing and paint job. It's a tart. It really is. Except for Mistral cans, the drivetrain is stock. It might get pods and for certain the Cliff Jeffries My15M is going to be run through it's paces on this bike, but it's a poseur for sure. The good stuff is on the 97 Sport. Stage II MRM heads, eventually a stroker crank (got that), bigger bore (got the cylinders, need the pistons), probably Carillo rods, Ti pushrods and a cam. It's a hobby (and like a boat, it's something you pour money into).

V11SportwithDaytonaFairing.gif

or

V11SportwithSportiFairing.gif

Extending the Daytona fairing scheme, picture a V11 Sport in this livery...

Sport1100wfairing.jpg

with this painit job...

Bild08.jpg

Nice possibility I think.

Check out some of the fairings at

Das Mototec

(click on the Produkte menu and select "verkleidungen").

714.jpg

714z1.jpg

754.jpg

754z1.jpg

727.jpg

You can also page through Stein-Dinse's offerings

Stein-Dinse

You have a Rabit Transit fairing? I'm jealous, Carl. Those things are so weird as to be extra cool. I wish you luck in fitting up the daytona fairing. It looks great, and in that blue will look even better. My only criticism is that I like round headlights...single round headlights. Not that I'm opinionated or anything.

Cheers,

Jason

My only criticism is that I like round headlights...single round headlights. Not that I'm opinionated or anything.

I'm with you there Jason. I like a single round headlight the best. Square is okay. The twin bug eyes on the Triump Speed Triple reminds me of the sicko robot in "Saturn 3" and the Salvadore Dali droopy glass things the Italians are putting on everything are simply fugly.

Here's the original concept drawing for the V11 LeMans.

Image_4.s.jpeg

Guest motomaniac

Well, like I said, the Ballabio has the different headlight mount. It's a long neck from the frame that sticks out like a giraffe's neck to hold the headlight, thus, the headlight/fairing is stationary. They don't move with the forks like the Stucchi fairings on the V11 Sports, and like most R90S fairings appear to. I just don't know what fairings would be the easiest to try without having to change a lot of the underlying components. :huh2:

You have to decide first between frame mount & handlebar mount.

Once you have decided that it will clarify your options a bit.

Frame mounting is the most stable, but quite often handlebar mounting is the neatest & easiest.

Which way are you going to jump?

Nige. B)