slippery when wet

sharky

My standard rear tire BT 20 is really great to drive, except when it rains!

On a wet track it doesn't feel good at all.

Does anybody has experience with this type of tire and feels the same, (or not) please give me some feedback.

I just bought the bike two weeks ago and really love this bike. :helmet:

On a wet track it doesn't  feel good at all.

Does anybody has experience with this type of tire and feels the same, (or not) please give me some feedback.

I just bought the bike two weeks ago and really love this bike.  :helmet:

34317[/snapback]

I dont know if this is relevant also for the Bridgestones, but the recommended pressures for the Metzeler M1 Sportecs are quite different on the Metzeler (www.metzelermoto.de) site than in the M.G. V11 Owners Manual.

When I tried the lower pressures recommended by MG (2.2/2.4 bar) rather than 2.4/2.5 bar recommended by Metzeler the improvement in grip and feel in the wet was significant.

From the German Bridgestone website they give

vorne 120/70 ZR 17 (58W) tl BT 020 F Luft Fußnote Freigaben

hinten 170/60 ZR 17 (72W) tl BT 020 RU(NT) 2,5/2,9

which sounds extremely high pressures compared to the MG owners manual!

Hope this helps? :D

Jonathan

I am riding now Metzeler M1 sport. Witch pressure did you said now? I have 2.4 front, 2.8 rear. But I use this pressure for all type tyre.

BT means stone. And they are. Diablo or Pilot sport are better for theV11. If the intention is to ride a lot km, the Pilot road will be a great tyre. I did 16.000 km with those tyres.

Guest steveguzzi

34317[/snapback]

I found the BT020's OK in the wet, but this was on good grippy surfaces. There was a big difference I found in confidence when I switched to MG recommended pressures of 2.2 / 2.4 bar instead of Bridgestone's 2.4 / 2.9.

Cheers :)

I found the BT020's OK in the wet, but this was on good grippy surfaces. There was a big difference I found in confidence when I switched to MG recommended pressures of 2.2 / 2.4 bar instead of Bridgestone's 2.4 / 2.9.

Cheers :)

34478[/snapback]

thnx for your reply. I checked the pressure and it was 2,5-2,7.

I will try the lower pressure instead.

Mayby it works.

thnx for your reply. I checked the pressure and it was 2,5-2,7.

I will try the lower pressure instead.

Mayby it works.

34538[/snapback]

I've changed the pressure and it got better. Not good!

I stll feel like shitting my pant during rainy curves.

I think I'll buy a pair of diablo's.

found the BT-20's actually decent in the wet, although they're not the most inspiring in grip, either in wet or dry. Have tried (on various bikes) the dunlops, michelins and Metzelers, of which the Michelins felt grippiest to me, although chewed themselves up fast. The Bridgestones are lasting a good long time, I've got 4500 miles on them and they look like they've got a few more thou' in 'em yet.

I've got a set of Avon 45/46's on order based on the raves from this forum..........I'll be trying those next. good luck!

Dan

• 1 month later...
:) Hi i, m running bridgestones too i allways feel as if the front is going to washout on corners !.They dont inspire alot of confidence and my front has worn in an unusual pattern ( viewed from the side the tread has formed a kind of wavy pattern) i allways make sure the correct pressures so i,m a bit confused by that! Finally i agree about wet riding they dont feel planted enough :huh2::helmet: I think i,ll probably head down the pirelli or metzeler road next time! cheers :bier: ride safe! :race:

Guest Brian Robson

I also found that on 020's that the front "cupped" factors being it's a directional tread, suspension settings, braking and tyre pressures.

I used a sport Bridgestone on the front (010 and 012), and there was no cupping even at the end of the tyre life.

Right now I have an 010 and an Avon ST46 on the rear and they work really well in the rain.

I do ride with the tyres at the recommended pressures of 32/36 psi.

34317[/snapback]

and I thought it was me.

I had a Triumph Sprint RS which came new with 020s. The front slid out so far on me in the rain, I had to stop and check my underwear. Was with some other guys, it was raining very hard and we were not going fast at all. Went around a very slight bend, can't even call it a corner and the front end just slid. Got off the bike and there was a mark around the right side of the whole circumference of the tire about 1 1/2 inches wide where the tire slid. No one else in the group had any problems at this bend.

The rear is so-so but I would never recommend anyone use the front 020.

Guest Brian Robson

Absolutely I agree with Bill on this one. Run a softer front.

The only time I can keep up with anyone is in the rain...the great equalizer :race: