PIAA Headlight Bulbs

Mr. Bean

Thanks Jaap,

I had heard that before but went ahead and just ordered from M.I without even looking at BMW. Actually I gotta admit the price is cheaper than I expected at $143. I was thinking it was going to be north of two hundred. Oh well...this still turned out to be the most expensive bulb replacement I ever had! :homer:

R

Cruise this site for a lot of very good info:

Daniel Stern Lighting

And no, this isn't about lights for the aft end of your boat, it's the gentleman's name...

34767[/snapback]

By far the most useful lighting site ever. All of you need to read this.

Much appreciated.

ken

Just wanted to post an update on the new bulb. Got the replacement headlight in short order...Looks like MGNA keeps these in stock :mg:

I spent some time making sure I got everything aimed right then took it out for some night riding. There was some improvement in overall lighting...Roadsigns seemed to be brighter than before and the lighting effect was much "whiter" than before but it wasn't a huge improvement by any means.

Got out of work late today...night and raining. Now THIS is what I was looking for! :thumbsup: The lighting difference in the wet is very noticeable. The regular bulb's light is pretty much neutralized by water on the roadway...Not this one! The effect is very interesting and I don't even begin to understand the why's of it...but it almost appears that the light penetrates the water better and lights the roadway surface. Maybe this is the "glare" some complain about, but it sure makes it easier to see the surface which I'm all for.

Based on my short time with this bulb I would say that if you ride in predominantly dry areas, save your money...the improvement is not that huge. But if you ride alot in the rain like me, it seems well worth it.

Randy, et al,

Whatever the improvement in lighting up the road ahead, and I do think it is perceptible in your photos, the cost may be worth it from a conspicuity point of view.

I think--code for "anecdotal, my specialty, thus not real data"--that cagers see us better out there with these "white" lights, both at night and daytime. I ran one for a bit in my EV and liked that part of it. I encountered shorter bulb life than I hoped, so haven't gone back. I am inclined to try again now.

Bill