Camchain tensioner

Baldini

Is V11 camchain tensioner sprung? In drawings/photos looks like V11's still use fixed (unsprung) cam chain tensioner. But it appears to have fixed mounting holes so position would not be adjustable unlike the old ones used to slide across to tension the chain. The part that appears to bear on the chain looks an elaborate shape - Does it have some kind of internal spring?

Thanks, KB :sun:

How does it work? not very well! There is a very light spring that holds the foot against the chain. I had the motor out of my 1100 sport for a rear gearbox seal at 25 000kms and decided to do it while we were there. The Chain after 25 000kms had 5mm slack with the factory tensioner in place. Fitted the ago/ harpers/blade style whatever else you want to call it tensioner which removed all the slack the bike is still going strong at 90 000kms with no sign of timing chain problems. I suspect it also made the bike run better but as I fitted a set of 41mm flat slide carbs at the same time its kinda hard to tell. You would thing the factory would get of its rear and fix this. Big job to remove the motor just to do this but if you have it out for any other reason highly recommended.

I'm not sure about the V11 but assuming most spine frames are the same the major obstical was the front engine mounts which bolts directly into the timing cheast cover. On the 1100 sport these mounts are welded to the frame however thinking about it I understant that the V11's are bolted. So you may well be able to do it in the frame. If you are planning on doing this make sure you have a deep 27mm socket of tube spanner for the nut behind the rotor. Because we were removing the engine gearbox anyway at the time we didn't seriously consider doing it in the frame. You may have to consider removing the front wheel just to make life easier.