Battery

antonio carroccio

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Antonio

Is the battery strong enough to start the bike ?

Does the light come on while driving ?? At all RPMS or only when idling ?

Take off the seat, start the bike, and check the voltage across the battery. It should be greater than 13.5V.

Ciao

Antonio..

I solved my issue by my dealer giving me a new battery under warranty !!! Great dealer.!

With your problem, either the light is coming on wrong (there's a short in the light) or the light is working correctly and the charging circuit is not working. If your bike is not charging the battery, and you've been riding like this for awhile with lots of starting, I would expect your battery to be dead... If the bike is not charging then at some point the battery will simply drain itself to zero..

I think the best thing would be to check the voltage at the battery (do you have a voltmeter or multimeter ?)..

If its charging, then you may have a simple short that causes the light to stay on..

Is the battery light on ALL the time while you ride ?

Ciao, Tim

Get yourself a good voltmeter that reads AC and DC. Make sure the battery is charged. Before starting the bike, detach the alternator wires, they're two heavy gauge yellow ones. They're probably somewhere up under the front of the tank or in the frame around the coils someplace. Put your meter on the 100 volt AC scale, hook it up to the two wires from the alternator, start the bike and watch the meter as you rev the engine up. At 7000 rpm, there should be about 90 Volts AC on those two wires. If you read a good sized AC voltage as you rev up the engine, you most likely have a dead voltage regulator.

• 3 weeks later...

Antonio,

Not so fast on the new battery (although this could be your problem) - I too have experienced the battery light coming on for a few seconds at a time (usually at around 2 or 3000 rpm but also when first starting if idle is low) for several weeks but my battery still seems to be charging ok so I have not worried about it too much.

Gio

Take off the seat, start the bike, and check the voltage across the battery. It should be greater than 13.5V.

This is the key test! If your bike is not charging then you will need a large number of new batteries to keep your bike going. If it is charging and your bike starts OK then you may only have an indication problem and still do not need a new battery. Until you check the voltage when the bike is running you cannot proceed to the next part of troubleshooting.

Sad but true, my battery has died this morning. Yesterday it was alive but this morning the tragedy….dead!

Well I was at some battery gooroo yesterday and we measure the battery. It was indeed less than 13.5 V. It was around 12 – 12.3 V. This guy said to me maybe the main problem is the dynamo. But it could be also the end of the battery.

Well, my next step, I’ll buy a new battery and a battery charger.

I have spoken with somebody who has battery with gel. I've heard around that this kind of battery is the best. We’ll see.

Damn….I am walking again. MERDA!

Thanks you all.

Antonio. In order to determine if your dynamo is not functioning properly the voltage must be measured with the battery installed and the engine running.

It sounds as if this is true so perhaps your battery is OK. I reccomend that you confirm that your dynamo is not OK before buying a new battery.

Antonio

To test the battery, its not enough to just measure the voltage. My dealer connected the battery to a deep charger (ie. 6 amps or greater) fully charged it, and then did a load test. It passed the test ok, but was dead two days later.

Second, it is really easy to test the charging system on your bike, per my original post, or what Helicopter Jim says in the above post.

Third, I thought gel batteries were what came stock in the V11. Regardless, my dealer replaced my battery with a new Wesco gel battery. Apparently you don't need a charger with the new gel batteries, although I have a BMW gel trickle charger that I bought for my old one... just in case.

Good Luck

Tim

Tim,

The newer gel batteries require a higher overvoltage to charge. I'm not sure the older tricklechargers work so well on the gel-style battery. But I'm not sure- won't hurt it I suppose.

I've been thinking it's about time for my original battery to go south too. Probably by spring, but so far, so good (almost 4 years)

j

The original batteries are gel-type, aren't they? I thought these were the only ones that didn't need to be mounted upright.

36314[/snapback]

Stock battery is a gell cell. As Jaap says, these are the only ones that can be mounted sideways, and you must replace with same.

Rj