air box top

Guest aj howard

Guest aj howard

Well I finally got around to an airbox mod for the Rosso.. First I scored an airbox lid off E-bay for $3.. :)

Then I took it to work and dremmeld off part of the top, leaving a "bar" to keep the under tank heat insulation from clogging the filter should it come off.

Next I got a K&N filter online for $32 which included shipping.. very nice :)

Presto chango... and wow what sweet noise!!! The dealer had set my FI a bit richer. Time will tell if I can wait till I have the $$$ for pipes before I get a PCIII.

I would include some photos, but to be honest I forgot how to post them here... AH well..

Guest aj howard

Ok, remembered how to attach files... and here are 3 (all less than 90k each). I used a "rotozip" style cutter, then sanded it down. I was teaching class at the time so my cuts were not 100%. Who cares when it's under the tank anyway. I like the fact I have the origional parts to put back on if I want/need to. I love the sound it makes, it is even harder to keep off the throttle now.. what will happen when I get the pipes and cross over with pcIII?? :bike:

Love my guzzi... :wub:

post-1153-1097719089_thumb.jpg

post-1153-1097719115_thumb.jpg

post-1153-1097719134_thumb.jpg

Guest Brian Robson

Todd at Guzzitech (Racer X) can supply the PC111, will have a map suitable for the mods and will improve the rideability of the bike. Dyno time could then fine tune the bike if required.

Hi AJ - maybe I'm missing something, but, if you aren't installing a higher flow exhaust -- what is there to be gained by opening up the airbox (other than increased intake noise/music)? Is there a real performance gain to be made with this mod?

Chris B.

PS. Brian - where do you go for Dynojet tuning on the lower mainland? I'm pretty sure there's nothing on the Island, so I'll need a recommendation for a reputable place near Vancouver.

Guest Brian Robson

Chris, the short answer is there ain't. he lives in the States, and thats where the dyno tuners are. I think there is a guy just south of the border. Dave Gross is planning to use him. Enzo used him during the construction of his new exhaust

Guest dkgross

yup...getting the dyno done was a good, final Step. Had mine done by George Dean of Seattle Cycle Service. He's not a 'certified' shop, but he know his sh$$*.

the bike has been running pretty good of late...Going on a long day trip this friday to see how she'll handle it.

still having FJR lust :)

Ok, remembered how to attach files... and here are 3 (all less than 90k each). I used a "rotozip" style cutter, then sanded it down. I was teaching class at the time so my cuts were not 100%. Who cares when it's under the tank anyway. I like the fact I have the origional parts to put back on if I want/need to. I love the sound it makes, it is even harder to keep off the throttle now.. what will happen when I get the pipes and cross over with pcIII??  :bike:

Love my guzzi...  :wub:

35344[/snapback]

Can you tell us in few words the result of this operation? I mean how did respond the bike by this changing?

Ciao

Hi AJ - maybe I'm missing something, but, if you aren't installing a higher flow exhaust -- what is there to be gained by opening up the airbox (other than increased intake noise/music)?  Is there a real performance gain to be made with this mod?

Ever wonder why intake valves are bigger than exhaust valves? It's because there's so much more power to be gained from getting more mixture into the cylinder than there is in getting the spent gases out [which they kinda want to do anyway, since they're all hot & expanding...]

Let's put it another way: what's the quickest way to improve your car's performance when you notice the mileage is getting worse and the get-up 'n' go has got-up-n-went? By changing that plugged air filter for a new one, n'est-ce pas?

In the same way, decreasing the intake drag on your Goose, Hog, [insert name of non-race rep crotch rocket here, since those already have the intake restriction all-but engineered away...] is the quickest way to some free ponies. In the real world, there are trade-offs that have to be considered like louder intake roar [which is why the manufacturers stifle the Bikes in the first place, to sneak'em under EPA's noise restrictions...]

Guest aj howard

Well that sort of answers the question, that and I had the airbox lid, and just had to do it. Going by "seat of the pants" it feels faster and revs a little free-er, but so much of s.o.t.p. is in what you feel and think that I know just the howl of the intake makes me think I am going 5 mph faster. :bike:

I was going to get all scientific and get the bike dyno-ed all stock and then do it after each mod.. but who am I kidding, on a teacher salery... yeah right I would never be able to afford it :lol:

I do love the bike though, it is a really sweet ride

Hey Dave,

when you got yer bike all tweaked out by George Dean what was did the eventual dyno grpah look like ? Can you post the chart here ?

on incidentally my new email address is robbiekb@bitarts.com

Robbie

Well, the timing of this thread is somewhat fortuitous :blink: as I just had my 01 V11 Sport custom mapped today after having just installed a FBF open airbox upstream of a Stucchi crossover and a set of Leo Vince Ti-ovals.

I cant post the graph done by "Two Wheel Performance" (local Ducati dealer, great people to deal with) but the results are as follows:

Prior to the PCIII re-mapping Max HP = 77.4

Max torque = 64.4

After PCIII re-mapping Max HP = 80.0 (+2.6)

Max torque = 66.8 (+2.4)

But for me the real treat was the induction howl induced by the FBF open airbox, coupled with the Leo Vince's low exhaust rumble...the numbers only confirm my seat o' pants measurements.

I also installed a set of CycleCat clip-ons and will attempt to get some photos posted soon.

Life is good...:helmet: Joe

bi tarts????  who the hell are you workin fer down in Californication??? :blink:

Maybe I don't want to know...  but then again... maybe I do...

Rj

35738[/snapback]

Hmmm.. there's one based in Engerland, and look what they've got – a Mutation Engine! I thought Cap'n Enzo Nemo had the patent on that.

"The core of the BitArts wireline technology called the Mutation Engine..." (www.bitarts.com)

Well I finally got around to an airbox mod for the Rosso.. First I scored an airbox lid off E-bay for $3.. :)

Then I took it to work and dremmeld off part of the top, leaving a "bar" to keep the under tank heat insulation from clogging the filter should it come off.

Next I got a K&N filter online for $32 which included shipping.. very nice  :)

For those considering this mod, I came across this:

http://www.moto-man.com/catpages/details.pg?item_num=@11

It might prove pretty useful, to keep major detritus from clogging up the regular filter, w/ little increase to the intake drag... :luigi: