Bar End Mirrors

GuzziHutch

Has anyone come up with a workable solution for bar end mirrors for the V11 Lemans? Ideally they would not vibrate too much and still allow the use of bar end weights, if desired. Also, how does one cover the holes left in the fairing from the removal of the near useless stock mirrors?

Guest rrbasso

Well, since I got my v11 I have been searching for the perfect mirror, and realized that I had to make a set up I liked. So I started with a set of CRG's, orderded the billet alluminum bar end weights from Guzzi and was off. Using the Alumin bar end whights allowed me to still use the stock anti-vibration system which was important to me, I then took the weights and milled a grove in them on a laith at work and milled a section down to 7/8 to fit the CRG, also I left a lip at the end so there wouldn't be a chance of slip off. I'm really happy with this set up, maybe I'm a little crazy, but i'ts the little things that make me happy. :helmet:

TONY

Howdy,

After trying a number of alternatives, I ended up putting a pair of Rizoma bar ends on my Rosso Mandello. I got them from Motostrano (http://www.motostrano-store.com/rirmi.html).

They are designed to mount onto barend weights but, since on my V11 Sport the barend weights freely rotate, I mounted them by clamping them on to the last 1/4" of bar, allowing me to retain the stock barend weights.

I had to move the grips, switches, etc. inboard about 1/4" on each side to make room for the mirrors. Moving the switches necessitated drilling a new hole in each bar to allow the switches to be repositioned (the switches have little plastic indexing protuberances that fix their position so that they don't rotate on the bar).

I also mounted the mirrors so that they are swiveled outboard rather than inboard (as they are pictured in the URL listed above).

They are big enough to give a decent view of what's going on behind me and, although there is still some vibration at certain RPMs (the stock weights notwithstanding), they give a reasonable clear view.

Hope that helps...

Nice solutions, especially the Rizomas. I'm a big fan of throttle locks and have a set of Throttlemeister bar ends on my bike so the "clamp on the bar end weights" approach will not work as my right side bar end rotates.

I had a set of Napoleons mounted on my clutch and brake pivots but the limited rear view drove me crazy. I came up with a simple solution. With a little file work Napoleon bar ends can be adapted to work with the throttlemeister bar end weights. On the left you just have to shave the "key" slightly and it fits into the Throttlemeister, add a longer screw (add about 30 MM) and you are done. On the right you also need to add a bevel to the end of the mirror that fits into the hole in the throttle lock. If you do not add the bevel to the inside of the mirror mount the mirror contacts the rotating part of the throttle lock and tries to move when you adjust the throttle lock.

My set-up isn't as pretty as the Rizomas but for much less than the price of two Rizomas I have a throttle lock, heavier than stock bar end weights and a clear view to the rear. As I view my V11 as a sport touring bike I'm very happy.

More sport riding types don't need a throttle lock and probably aren't bothered as much by the vibration with the stock bar ends.

Just another approach,

Lex

Just to add a fly to the ointment, I had the MPH-cycles' modified CRG hindsights on my Scura and removed them in favor of Napoleon mirrors. No LeMans fairing on mine, so the mirrors are mounted in traditional V11 fashion.

I found the CRG's to give me very little information, the convex mirrors are very tiny and cars would 'sneak up' when using these mirrors.

Of course, others would argue that cars should never be 'sneaking up' on you when riding a V11!!

Good luck.

dan

On my former '01 V11S, Mike Haven at MPH machined a set of "heavy" bar ends I got from Pro Italia to accept the CRG mirrors. The setup worked well, but the CRGs were so convex that you could read your own license plate, yet couldn't tell a crown vic LEO from a Mini Cooper. The CRG convex glass is 1/16", so I could never find a good flat glass replacement. Tried the Napoleon bar ends, with the stock clip ons, but way too much vibration.

The '04 Cafe Sport with the stock tubular bars likes the Napoleon bar ends. Not much vibration to begin with, and the glass is big and flat, just like Terrible Todd Haven's chair....

TonyBologna, Baton Rouge

• 2 weeks later...

I happened to be at another local shop and asked on what they had in bar-ends. The guy showed me their one CRG bar end unit. It seems like a nice unit, small, but that's why they put the convex mirror in. Talked to one of the guys who has one on his R1, and said you really need one on both sides, as there were was a fairly large blind stop with just one. I was close to getting it, but the crazy price [$149cdn each] made me at first laugh, then slid it it back to him.

I went to 3 bicycle places, looked at their bar ends, and the price was certainly very reasonable, but they mostly are attached by going into the end of the bar, where my bar end weight is. And I want to retain that.

Soooo, it looks at this point as though the CRG unit is the one, but will have to be purchased outside of the country I reside to avoid the duel duty/taxes hit, and have the bar end weights machined to allow the CRG bracket to clamp down onto the weight.

The ownership of this machine continues to be an enjoyable one.

Ciao, Steve G.

How about getting a pair of Napoleons for $49 per mirror( V11S, not LeMans).

Then you go to your friendly machinist and ask him to drill a hole, thread it for the mounting bolt and cut a little notch in the clip-on end weight to accept Napoleon mount (you will know what I mean the minute you look at Napoleon. You do not need the metal and rubber inserts).

Here you are; perfect large functional mirror, looks totally stock on naked retro cafe racer and kills all vibration as a fringe benefit.

All the other mirrors are just poor, improvised substitute in comparison.

Actually John, an excellent idea. I have Napolean Beren chrome mirrors on my Laverda, and have an extra one in new condition. You have just saved me money, and I must agree, that for the money the Beren is the best bar end out there.

Ciao, Steve G.