MPG, Holy CRAP!!!

Guest gooddog

Guest Aughtsix

I may well not be the brightest penny in the bag, but wouldn't an optimistic speedo/odo really mean that you're getting less miles per gallon than you think? In other words, if the unit is indicating more miles traveled than you've actually gone - 70 miles in an hour when you're actually going 65 miles in an hour - at the end of a 150 mile tank you've not really gone 150 miles; you've only gone 139 miles.

Correct my error here...

Steve

My speedometer was replaced 4 months after I bought the bike. The reset odometer locked up. The first thing I noticed with the new unit was that miles were stacking up faster on the reset odometer than the other. This was wierd. 100 miles on the reset odometer and only 75 on the other. I checked the speedometer and it showed the normal 5-7% optimistic. Now, I have to get a calculator out to determine whether or not I'm due for an oil change.

I have to use the formula; odometer reading x 1.24 + 7500

Fortunately, when I sell the bike, if ever, I can, tongue in cheek, say it has low miles on it. :P

Guest JohnInNH

I have noticed that when it is cold.. the mileage sux! My Last ride was just a few days ago and it was around 40-45 deg F The ride was a mix of highway (75 MPH) and nice twisty back roads up and down steep hills.

Since I have Todd's "jerk fix" which is to add a bunch more fuel at low TPS settings

O TPS 2 TPS 5 TPS

2500-7500 +20 +10 +5

This means while going down hill (off throttle) I am using more fuel.

Just how much fuel this "fix" uses I have not figured out. The off fuel to on fuel behavior is much better and is worth the $... I do need to check plugs tho.

Ray, I took a ride this weekend with the new PC III map and here are my mpg results. I got around 35.7 mpg, which is up from the 32-33 mpg I was getting. Not bad.

I was actually worried for a while after the trip odo hit 140. My fuel light usually comes on at about 120, so I wondered if it was burned out. I knew I could at least get to 150 miles with the old map, so at 140 I was sure hoping I was getting better mileage. :D

Guest gooddog

I went for a spin through carnation, snoqualmie and black diamond today, and got about 36 mpg. not a whole hell of a lot of freeway riding, but lots of consistant throttling with a warm engine. Quite a difference from the 18 mpg that i got from total city running. i changed my plugs yesterday; the old ones were sooty black, indicating a rich set up. I'm guessing that the fresh plugs would assist mpg somewhat. i'm still popping on decel( more so today than normal) and getting some coughing at constant throttle. i'm convinced hoever that a cough from the engine is more than likely caused less from lack of tune but more from something that has rattled loose(like Dave's oxygen sensor, or my spark plug connector). i'm sure that a custom tune is in order, its just figuring out the time and setting asside the cash.