Gearbox oil rises after riding in heavy rain

taminatorv

That window should not be full! I have found that adding the "required" amount of oil to the tranny will over fill it. Then it spits out the vent and finds it's own level.

If it is JUST visible in the bottom of the window, then it is OK.

I'm considering making a sheet alloy splash-gard for attachment around my tranny vent. I'll look at the this winter when I pull the wheels for new tires.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't drive the V11 today simply because I've been waiting for an answer. Tonight, I'll drain off the excess. That does raise the question though, how much should really be in there if you've measure it and even more importantly, does following the manufacturers recommendations for the rear box overfill that as well?

Checked my gearbox oil last night - yep you guys are spot on, water contamination!!!!

I like a bit of character in a bike but that breather is just a plain old crap design, does the factory realise it?????

Anyway my fix is:

Remove breather.

Prise off the top 'cap'.

Remove plastic insert.

Clamp in vice and saw the top section off flush with hex - this is for clearance.

Cut a lengh of copper car hydraulic line 5mm longer then the remaining unit.

Measure the diameter of this pipe (about 4.8mm) and drill through the unit.

Insert the pipe leaving 5mm proud.

This will leave a small counterbore around the pipe from the old insert, fill this with epoxy resin and allow to set.

Assemble back on bike, very fiddly due to the space limitation. My wife (small hands!!) ended up getting it into place for me, strangely I found I could get to it better from the gearlever side.

Cut approx 500mm of thin tubing - which you checked was an ok diameter first (I had it all already but if you go and buy the copper pipe from a car place get the right size tubing at the same time)

Drop one end into a cup of warm/boiling water to make it stretchy and push it over the pipe.

Run the tube up under the seat and secure it to a frame rail with a cable tie.

I've only done a dozen or so miles but I can't think that there will be any problems with this fix as it is only to allow expansion and contraction of the air volume, unlike an engine breather that requires a much larger vent.

Still really pleased with the bike though - role on summer and dry days!!!!

I've away on vacation and finally got around to doing something with the breather. As a temporary fix, I got an old piece of bicycle inner tube to cover the breather. I kept the tube as a tube, stapled one side leaving two small holes, and then slide the other side over the hex of the breather. I secured it with a zip tie.

When I get some more time, I'll probably just pry off the cap on the breather, and run a hose off of it to a place that stays dry or just downwards.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the breather is simply just a breather, or a one-way PCV? A couple ideas....

1) The reason I ask is that there are a number of nice PCVs at my local auto-shop that are tapped, and theoretically could be screwed in to replace the OEM breather, and these have nipples to facilitate running a hose somewhere dry. But if the breather, is really a "breather," not a one-way PCV, that's not an option... I guess. If not, I might be able to just find a plain fitting that could work.

2) Or, and to tam's suggestion below, has anyone *tried* to pry the cap off of the OEM breather successfully?? I don't want to really "test" trying to get it off of mine, and ruin it :wacko: If it comes off easily, that would be an easy fix to attach a hose, etc...

And finally, if none of these are workable.... not a PCV, or the size/threads don't match... or one can't get the cap off of the OEM breather without tearing it up... I am working on a breather cover made out of some PCV boots and breather element foam that actually fits quite well and looks fairly like something that might come from the dealer... and should keep water out. But I'd like to do one of the top 2 suggestion first, as they'd look better, be more durable, and simpler.

al

Al, I haven't had a chance to do anything about the breather yet, since I'm trying to fix the rectifier problem on my VFR :o. I think it is a breather and not a one way valve as I think it needs to allow air to expand and contract in the gearbox. I was also thinking this breather looks pretty similar to the ones fitted on BMWs which after owning six of them, I know doesn't allow water to get in. I wonder if the ones on BMWs would fit on our V11s? If not, can we use the cap off of the BMWs? I don't recall the design exactly, but I think they might be two caps in one.

That would be great! If so, if he can get the part#, or at least just the bike model# and location, we could go down and order one.

BTW, do you have any thoughts on whether the BMW breather really is better, or we just have an unlucky placement of ours... right where the water spray nails it off of the rear wheel? Maybe your friend can also compare how they're built to see if one is better at rejecting water than the other? That would help a lot too.

thx :)

al

Tam, Al,

Since I have an Airhead and a K-bike in the garage at this time I checked both. First, the K-bike's gearbox breather is very well hidden, I think I've seen it in the past, IIRC; it looks much like the breather on the V11. The final drive breather on both bikes is about as simple as it could be, a hollow steel piece threads into the housing and a black, plastic cap covers the hole in the top. A small (maybe 1/16"/ 1.5 MM) hole in the plastic cap allows air in and out of the breather. The gearbox breather on the airhead is even less sophisticated; the bolt that attaches the ground strap from the battery is hollow.

The above (I think) supports my theory that the problem is not the breather; it is the lack of protection from real wheel spray. I was amazed when, after Tam found water in his gear lube, I found nothing between the front of rear wheel and the rest of the bike. Given the lack of problems with BMW and the simple design of their breathers I'd say the problem is large amounts of water, moving a pretty high speed, being thrown at the breathers in wet conditions. My solution was to make and mount a simple barrier to the upright part of the swing arm. This should protect the transmission breather, the clutch slave cylinder, the back of the frame and a bunch of other stuff I’d rather not see bathed in high speed streams of water and road crud.

I’ve attached a picture of my solution. I just made a piece of fiberglass to fit in the triangle formed by the swing arm upright and attached it with plastic ties. I’ve only ridden the bike on a moderately wet day (a few deep puddles) since I built the barrier so I can’t be positive it works but I believe this is a good solution to several problems caused by Moto Guzzi’s poor design, time will tell. If anyone cares to copy this design I’d suggest a piece of ABS (or similar plastic) or rubber instead of making a part from fiberglass, I did it this way because I had some materials left over from a repair to my kayak.

One last thought, I made the barrier flexible and weak enough to be crushed if it ever comes loose and get caught in the rear wheel. I’d rather make a new one than have it jam my wheel. Been there, done that (broken chain caught between swing arm and wheel) DO NOT recommend it.

JMHO,

Lex

:lol: .... I think what Jaap meant was that one had to be a member of the Yahoo club you pointed us to.... to see your photos. I have no idea why your photo to the Forum didn't post :huh:

Interesting solution, may have to check into it... although I'm still looking at just going with tam's idea of prying off the cap and attaching a hose. I think the breather is the only item at any real "risk" back there from flying debris. Dunno though...

al

OK, I nominate myself for the Homer Simpson award for the day. I just slapped my forehead and said "Dhhooo!".

I changed the set-up, anybody can now view the pictures on CCIB.

Lex