LeMans Throttle Cable

Guest philbo

About two weeks after I bought my new LeMans, the throttle cable snapped. No big deal methinks so I go back to the dealer who tells me he's going to order a new one and replace it. Two months and numerous excuses later - not a sign of a new cable.

First it was an inconvenience not knowing weather or not to fill the tank before going out, how fast you're traveling etc. but after 10 tanks of gas (I'm guessing around 1300 miles) this is getting old really quickly. The cops pulled me over yesterday for speeding and I explained about the cable so they let me off with a warning but it could have gone the other way.

So the question is how hard is it to get a new speedo cable? Does the factory really shut down for a month and would this impact speedo cable deliveries or is that BS? Are there any dealers out there who I could call that might actually have one they could sell me?

Any input would be welcome.

Thanks

Phil

Sounds like your dealer is giving you the run around. There've been a number of folks on this board and the Wildguzzi board who've had their speedometer cables repaired lately.

Do you know where the speedometer cable broke and why? If it is near either end there are some fixes suggested. I think a replacement core is available at MG Cycles or MPH Cycles for a mere pittance.

What I know, the factory MUST deliver pieces to repair the bikes in circulation all over the world. They just shut them factory down and that’s meaning no more production. No more man at work. I am sorry for them family.

BTW, if you change the cable; you have to change all of it.

Not only the iron cable but also the plastic cable around him. Is not another Guzzi dealer in your area?

Ask him (your dealer) if it can ordered by Agostini from Mandello?

I'm not sure where the break is. I didn't think this would be dragging on for so long so I didn't bother looking - I'll give MG a try and see if I can get one shipped.

Thanks for your input.

philbo, If you find replacment cables please post the information about who has them in stock. Mine broke this Spring with 1200 miles on the clock and I was lucky enough to get a replacement . My buddy's broke on his LeMans with 300 miles on it and he has been waiting well over two months for a replacement. The dealer has been on MGNA all summer about replacement cables...none are to be had from them :blink: . I guess I got the last one on this continent. I tried to get a spare from MG Cycles but no luck there either. Also tried Ferracci, I was able to get CF cans but no cable. Good Luck.

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble sourcing the cable, but yes, the factory often closes in August for holiday, and we just heard the factory was put on furlough for the Winter due to low sales volume.

Never the less, MGNA really should have tried(and maybe they did :huh2: ) to stock up on the higher volume replacement parts like these.

Just as a synopsis of dealers to try:

MG Cycles (apparently out currently) - www.mgcycle.com/

MPH Cycles - www.mphcycles.com

Harpers Moto Guzzi - www.harpermotoguzzi.com

Joe Eish

Eish Enterprises 330-738-3944

11041 Salineville, Ohio 43945

Dave Richardson (TLM affiliate in North America)

Moto International 206-297-3822

7701 Aurora Avenue North, Seattle, Washington 98103

motointl@aol.com

Any one of these probably has the best chance of having the cable on-hand. Another alternative last ditch is to check with TLM in the Netherlands(Forum Sponsor, look up in the banner ;) )... as they usually have quite a good parts supply, even hard to find stuff.

And finally, try www.rebootguzzispares.com . They often have a ton of salvage Guzzi parts, both old and new, and are a great bunch to work with. Shipping from the UK is pricey, but I bet they have the part if you become desperate.

Good luck :thumbsup:

al

P.S.

In case you haven't already, you may also want to do a search on threads for the speedo cable issue. If you simply replace your cable without determining "root cause", you may just have the cable break again soon after... as several owners have observed with dismay. Often it is a cable routing issue from what I understand.

Thank you for all the posts - MG said it would take a while because basically the bike is so new that the parts haven't started rolling out and Agostini said

"The part number is 01760491. Unfortunately we are also out of stock and have them on backorder.

Peter and Team Agostini"

I'll try some of the other options and see what I can come up with. It's a small thing but the more I try to find one the more it's starting to bug me that I can't.

Thanks

Phil

Phil, My buddy called Italy and told them he wanted them to buy his LeMans back so they air frieghted him a new cable the other day. He hasn't seen it yet but I have, they sent him the old style cable with the little offset drive for the gearbox. Either they know it will work or it's just a stalling tactic on their part :lol: . I'll let you know how it turns out.

I did actually find someone who had one in stock for $48.50 plus shipping but 1” longer and $20 cheaper sounds like a better deal. I stopped off at the local dealer on Saturday just in case pigs learnt to fly and the cable was in but - to no avail. What I'm hearing now is that the factory has changed manufacturers and they’re in the process of getting organized. I guess the new manufacturer has made some changes but I’m not sure exactly what they are. I guess we’ll see what happens.

Thanks

Phil