fast-idle lever

beauchemin

Thank yewwww, thank yewwwww! [takes a bow...]

It's certainaly gratifying to see that my one moment of inspiration is appreciated! Now if I could just come up with an insight that would make me $50 million & I could talk to Piaggio about buying Guzzi... :grin:

Hey, maybe the seatlatch & fast-idle springs swap should be added to a FAQ? Lord knows, the info is spread out across several different threads at this point... :thumbsup:

Ride on!

:bike:

Skeeve . . . are you taking credit as the originator of this idea? :rolleyes:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest ratchethack

Skeeve . . . are you taking credit as the originator of this idea? :rolleyes:

Allow me to relieve Skeeve of wot might be an awkward moment.

Credit must be given where due! :thumbsup:

I don't b'lieve Skeeve has sought glory. He's been most humble. Yet a place of high honor in the Guzzi Hall of Fame is surely his for having the insight and remarkable innovation to've come up with this. Wot's the liklihood of a mere mortal lining up two such apparently disparate misfits into two such perfect fits in one switcheroo?? :notworthy:

Once again, to Skeeve! :bier:

:notworthy:

Do you suppose maybe if we switched the fuel filter with the oil filter the vapor lock issues would go away and the oil filter would no longer fall off :huh2::lol::cheese:

Allow me to relieve Skeeve of wot might be an awkward moment.

Credit must be given where due! :thumbsup:

I don't b'lieve Skeeve has sought glory. He's been most humble. Yet a place of high honor in the Guzzi Hall of Fame is surely his for having the insight and remarkable innovation to've come up with this. Wot's the liklihood of a mere mortal lining up two such apparently disparate misfits into two such perfect fits in one switcheroo?? :notworthy:

Well, thank you for all the kind words, Ratch'! Altho' to be honest, I think anyone who just happened to be fiddling w/ their new Guzzi & realized that A] the seat could be popped off just by whapping it hard enough 'cause the latch spring was too weak & B] the fast idle control snapped back as soon as your finger came off 'cause the spring was too stiff might have been able to put A&B together & get Q... er, "C." Sometimes, you've just got to make room for serendipidity! ;)

Compared to some of the other priceless info I've gleaned from v11LM, my own small contribution is relatively minor. But it's sure nice to get such effulsive recognition for it & be placed among some of the other giants on v11LM like Pete Roper, Greg Field & Carl Allison, & yes, even you. Thanks! :sun:

Ride on,

:bike:

:mg:

Once again, to Skeeve! :bier:

:notworthy:

Do you suppose maybe if we switched the fuel filter with the oil filter the vapor lock issues would go away and the oil filter would no longer fall off :huh2::lol::cheese:

Dang! I got you & Ratchethack to agree on something! That's even bigger than the swapping springs trick! :grin:

Thanks for the kudos! Coming from someone I feel is far more mechanically knowledgable than myself, its a serious ego booster! Ahh, my head is so inflated right now, I might float away if I went outside... :cheese:

See ya, I'm outta here to go celebrate :drink: my friend's graduation [interesting coincidence that it fell on Drinko de Mayo , don't you think? ;)]

Ride safe,

:helmet:

Dang! I got you & Ratchethack to agree on something! That's even bigger than the swapping springs trick! :grin:

:lol:

We actually agree on alot.

But agreeing on everything is boring.

And maybe it is the details we disagree on.

But here is the complete list of what we agree upon

1. Guzzis Rock!

2. Short framed V11 Spine Rocks!

3. Suspension is more important an investment than power (disagree about it being impossible to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, especially if you add enough silk :P )

4. K&N air filters shorten engine life (disagree about how much)

5. Progressive springs for rear (disagree about front)

6. Skeeve rocks!

7. I know there must be something else :huh2:

On subject of insufficent cold fast idle i found that a small nylon cable tie wrapped around the little wheelie thingy worked a treat...simple fix!

Guest ratchethack

Andy, FYI -- the wheel's position relative to the cam it operates against can be adjusted with a downward-facing screw. It should properly be set so that the wheel is just free of contacting the advance cam at idle. This is generally more accurate and allows a greater range of motion on the throttle advance than putting a sleeve on the wheel. :helmet:

Guest Nogbad

Andy, FYI -- the wheel's position relative to the cam it operates against can be adjusted with a downward-facing screw. It should properly be set so that the wheel is just free of contacting the advance cam at idle. This is generally more accurate and allows a greater range of motion on the throttle advance than putting a sleeve on the wheel. :helmet:

:stupid: A sleeve on the wheel will get you a bodge point

:stupid: A sleeve on the wheel will get you a bodge point

Bodge point !! yip I agree wholeheartedly, but at the time it was the easiest way to fix!! Easily removable when I get the time to adjust everything as it should be....odd though cause never has worked even from new, idle speed went up about fifty rpm with me leaning as hard as i could on the lever..

Guest Nogbad

Bodge point !! yip I agree wholeheartedly, but at the time it was the easiest way to fix!! Easily removable when I get the time to adjust everything as it should be....odd though cause never has worked even from new, idle speed went up about fifty rpm with me leaning as hard as i could on the lever..

Have you swapped the springs? Mine didn't work when I got the bike, swapping the springs effected a complete cure.

All this mentioning of springs reminds me of a moped I owned over 20 years ago :oldgit: . It had no throttle wire, so we put the throttle spring under the throttle. :luigi: Yiihaa, that was fun. Even worse, it had no brakes and no clutch. I hope I'll never meet such maniacs...

Have you swapped the springs? Mine didn't work when I got the bike, swapping the springs effected a complete cure.

hmm..no not yet...but I will!

• 1 month later...

After work, I rolled into the shop to do this infamous "spring swap" but ended up doing a hybrid of both ideas. I yanked off the fast idle spring and intended on swapping it with my seat release spring but when I got to taking the seat spring off, the crimped end on the seat release cable was more of a PITA than it looked so I did the manly thing and ripped that crappy spring the hell off of there with no regard to it's future in the world and stretched it out to a lovely curly fry shape LOL. I swapped the fast idle spring onto the seat release mechanism (lovely action now I might add) and dismantled a rare BIC retractable pen of company property to use the spring on the fast idle cable. All is well in Baltimore.

All is well in Baltimore.

...except for the 29 Wins, 40 Losses, Baltimore Orioles baseball team :lol:

BTW San Diego is 40 Wins and 28 losses :D

...and within the next three days, I suspect those 40s will turn into 43s, But I am not a fan of interleague play...

But I'll bet your bike is not leaking Redline shockproof from the bevelbox, like mine :(

But the seal should arrive this week :sun: