Winter storage

Guest jerroldt

Guest jerroldt

All my previously owned bikes have been carburetted and I simply drained the carbs and added inhibitor to the tank and kept the battery charged. Now I have two bikes that are fuel injected (the Le Mans is one of them). I suppose that all that I can do is to add fuel inhibitor and run them to get the new fuel mixture into the system as well as starting them for awhile in the dead of Winter plus keeping the batteries up. Any more suggestions? (I realized after posting this that it should have gone into the tecnical forum) but anyway..........

It's ok, I moved the topic for you.

I've had this discussion with my local mechanic who swears by two cycle oil. His claim was that the stabilizers don't do much, but he's always had good luck by mixing in a few percent of just plain two cycle oil with the gas.

I can't verify or deny that, but chemically speaking the two cycle oil is heavier and less likely to evaporate. So maybe it would help- it wouldn't actually stabilze the gas though.

I would suggest that you just try to ride occassionally and not mess with any additives. Charleston as in South Carolina? Maybe you won't be able to ride every day, but even once a month should be fine, I would think. I ride pretty much all year round up here in I-oh-way, although not very long distance, and I don't bother with fuel stabilizers. Besides, modern fuel blends should be relatively stable anyhow. Certanly they are less volitile, so less likely to varnish. Then again, the two cycle engine will do the same. I dunno... :huh2:

Jason

I believe this is Charleston WV where salt and rain mix together and help bolts from working loose.

I put Stabil in my boat gas tank. A full gas tank helps prevent moisture condensation. The boat sits from Sep until at least May and the gas is fine. May not be 100% but the boat runs like it is on fresh gas.

Unless you can get out for a long enough ride to cook the moisture from the oil expect to find a yellow, somewhat corrosive, sludge in your pan.