Alternate stands for Moto Guzzi's

callison

Everything else seems to have beaten to death, so I'll add to the confusion.

Sears, CostCo and a bunch of other places have been selling hydraulic ATV/Motorcycle lifts for a while now. How well do they work? Mechanically - just fine. For Guzzis with funny sump shapes (late model sport types) and others, passable providing you strap the bike to the stand securely. I say this because I now have two bikes with broken fins on the sump. The hydraulic ATV lifts can be had for as little as $50 (Harbor Tool and Freight - on sale). I have two, one from CostCo in the $90 category and one from Harbor Freight in the $50 category. Both are made in PRC but from different manufacturers. The CostCo one is broader, but not as well built as the Harbor freight one for nearly half the price. The CostCo stand also does not lift as high. Either one is functionally identical to the other. Both of them could use a little help handling Guzzis.

http://www.dunwelllifts.com/Buy.html Offers a good solution, although they're a bit pricy. Both operate best from the side of the bike opposite the side stand. Both are a tad difficult to use with just one person until the technique if perfected for getting them in place. Depending upon the spacing of the lift frame bolts, the Dunwell stand adaptors may have to be modified to accomodate the bolt spacing. If you buy a Dunwell lift, that won't be a problem, but I think the Harbor Freight model is nearly a perfect fit. Hard to tell, I had already elongated the holes to fit the CostCo stand.

There's one for California models. It is extremely well built.

moto_guzzi1-sm.jpg

CaliforniaStand.gif

And one for V11 Sport type Guzzi's. A little shakey, but functional.

V112a.jpg

While not flimsy, it is a little awkward to use because the posts that fit up under the frame have to be put in place after the stand is positioned. At least the one post on the low side of the bike anyway. Note that the manufacturers picture show the posts with the U-shaped part in the outward position. This is supposed to be the same lift position as that used on the factory V11 Stand. Since the posts are a somewhat loose fit, I don't recommend following the instructions provided with the stand (such as they are). Turning the posts inboard puts them inside of the "porkchops" on the frame. Not perfect since the spacing is a tad wide, but better than having the bike slip off the post a they can splay out to a wider width then the long engine mount bolt they're supposed to rest on. The inboard position also allows for removing that bolt for maintenance.

V11SportStand.gif

I thought it would be possible to leave both Dunwell stands bolted to the same hydraulic lift, so I cut some slots in the bottom edge of the Dunwell stands to clear the bolts on the lift. It didn't work. I bought a second lift. Problem solved, and now I can move two bikes anywhere I need in the garage with very little fuss.

Dunwell adaptors:

Pros.

California model a very well thought out and constructed unit.

V11 Sport works well when used carefully.

Cons:

Expensive.

Neither has great paint.

V11 Sport model should be used with care as it doesn't fit as well and suffers some poor fit in the post receptacles.

Modification may be required to fit various models of hydraulic jacks.

Pit Bull stands. http://www.pit-bull.com/

If you've ever seen one, you know you've seen the Rolls Royce of stands.

Pros:

Extremely well built. If you have a V11 Sport, be sure to order the wider rear stand. There are two or more versions for the front of bikes. I have the first one. Faultless, fits 4 out of 5 of my Guzzi's and it will probably fit that one too if I ever put it back together.

Cons:

Expensive.

Swingarm tends to slide up on the stand. For a V11 Sport with the radical tapering of the swingarm towards the pivot point, this can present a problem with the bike sliding off of the stand. (I put hose clamps on the swingarm, adjuster side down, that keeps the swingarm from sliding.

PitBullStand.gif