Front fork oil change?

svjj

Hey, guys

I have a few questions about changing my fork oil.

I have 16,000 miles on my 2000 v11 sport and I know I am over due but this was going to be one of my many winter projects. What brand and weight oil dose everyone like? I do want to keep the front end as close to stock as possable? Also is there anything I need to do in the forks while I am changing the oil (seals)? Any known problems to look out for while doing this job?

Thanks,

JJ

Guest rotorhead

Hey, guess what, I just did this yesterday!! I put 7w Bel-ray oil back in (400ml). I can tell you what I did and you can sort out what works for you.

I didn't disassemble both forks completely, just the left one. The manual said to do it but I realized that it was not neccessary. After getting the forks out of the triple clamps I backed off the compression and rebound adjustment and then removed the slider caps. Careful, because if you don't hold onto the slider it will fall down the tube....you may wanna may sure the tube is ultra clean incase it does so that you don't damage the seal. I poured the used oil into a graduated container so that I could measure the amount of old oil just for grins. One tube was 20ml less than the other which had 400ml on the money. :huh2: and yes, I'm sure they where drained completely.

I let the tubes upside for awhile and pumped them every now and then in an effort to ensure the cartridges were emptied. No need to remove the slider and risk damage to the seal....I did and tore a seal in the process. :homer: Cost 16 bucks for a new one. Some may argue that the forks must be disassembled all the way....you decide. When I took the left one apart I examined it and so no need to do this.

One thing I did notice that was not mentioned in the Guzzi Service Manual was that on reassembly I noticed that the tops for the sliders bottomed out on top of the spring retention nut (blue) way before the little adjustment screw in the center of the caps (the ones that say "C" and "R") came even close to the rod running down the center of the cartridge. I don't know for sure if its right but I went ahead and adjusted the blue spring retention nut down until the cap centers came in light contact with the rod then back the blue nut back up to where it contacted the cap.

I serviced and assembled completely before reinstalling.

Hope its not to lenghthy or redundant....anyway thats what I did.

Keith