Guzzi wiring connectors

leafman60

Ok, good guys. Where can I find the individual wire connectors crimp on the wire ends and then snap into the plastic connector blocks on new Guzzis?? I need to repair a handlebar wire set connector. These look like a new molex types of some sort. Are they used by any car mfgrs??? Thanksssss :rasta:

If you are talking about the water proof connectors as used on about 80% of the harness(such as the fuel system electrical connections), these are Amp Weather-Tite/Weather Pack connectors. These are specialty connectors that you can't just go get at your local Radio Shack, and you will have to buy a kit of connectors, along with the specialized crimper and extraction tools.

Easiest solution is to to to SummitRacing.Com....

That's where I bought my kit and tools.

The kit that has 49 assorted pins and connectors is part# SUM-900403 , and is $49.95, the extractor kit is about $9, and the crimper about $30. The kit will last a long time, and has 1, 2, 3, and 4 pin male/female connector shells.

Amp Weather-Tite Connector Kit Assortment

Extractor Tool Kit

Weather Pack Crimper

Althernately, you can also go down to your local specialty Electronics(if you are lucky) or more likely your local Automotive Speed/Hot-Rod shop. These guys rarely have the inividual connectors and pins disassembled in kits, but do often have premade harnesses that you can sometime disassemble to fit your needs, but that's a poorer solution than building them from scratch due to metal fatigue, etc from extracting the pins, etc...

But these shops do sometimes have the crimpers and extractor set, but they are upwards of $100.

I tell ya though... once you get the hang of these connectors, you'll find yourself replacing every non weather-tight connector on the bike, or any other vehicle you have :luigi: These things are awesome, indestructable, and much easier to engage/disengage than the various bullet, molex, etc... connectors you'll find floating around the bike.

Why they didn't wire every connector on the bike(such as the clutch safety switch) with these is a mystery to me(except for the signal bullets that have to be small enough to fit through the fairing hole).

Good luck.

al

• 3 months later...

As mentioned elsewhere, Summit Racing sells complete kits of these connectors in assorted sizes, as well as the crimpers and extractors for very reasonable pricing. But you cannot mix/match or order specific connectors.

So also check out the following thread for another supplier that allows for quite a bit of mixing and matching, with a $25 minimum order:

http://www.sport-touring.net/cgi-bin/msgbo...1;entry524102

The vendor is http://onlinecomponents.com/

:D

Which connectors are we talking about? The ten pin connectors that are under the tank are Packard connectors. Working at a Chevy store we have a specialized terminal box that has the expensive set of Packard crimper and all the tools needed to remove the different terminals. All that is needed are very good eyes to release the terminals from the connector ends. There are probably at least a few hundred different types of terminals used in the auto industry and I have most of them at my fingertips :grin: If you are interested, I can get the GM part numbers to get a price on them. A picture would be nice so I know which connector type you are working on.

Just as a note, years ago I use to like soldering all my connections. While this is the best way to make a connection (least resistance), I find that the wire is weakened to vibration/flex. Meaning, the solder is wicked up the wire and is made none flexible. A few bends and the wire will brake in half. Give it a try and you will agree. I only solder connections that are very sensitive to voltage drops now and I can not think of any on the Guzzi at the moment.

Anyway, I did find one ten terminal connector end that matches up perfectly in our junk connector box :thumbsup: . I also noticed a few Amp connectors as well.

Mike

If you are interested, I can get the GM part numbers to get a price on them. 

45776[/snapback]

I am dying to get my hands on a pair of connectors to hook up with the TPS, and will gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today.

I want to make a pair of access lines for measuring TPS. I could just splice into the lines and solder it up. But a temporary line jack would be more ideal for setting TPS and I could carry it with me to rallys and impress our buddies with the ease of TPS measurement!!!

I only solder connections that are very sensitive to voltage drops now and I can not think of any on the Guzzi at the moment.

45776[/snapback]

The TPS is the only place that I can imagine is very sensitive to voltage drops.