Intake Rubbers

Guest russ

I haven't found this in previous posts but admittedly didn't look real hard. My 02 LeMans is starting to show some spilitting on the rubber between the Throttle Body and Head. I know it is a warranty repair but are there any better quality rubbers out there to replace the originals? Did MG upgrade them at some point and if they did, how can I be sure that the replacements are the better type so I don't have to go through this again?

:wacko:

I had one split after 18 months of use. The other was perfect. Better make sure it's a warranty repair though! Mine was turned down since all rubber parts are considered consumables! :finger: (THAT was to MGNA and their screwed up warranty policies.)

I can understand tires, but this was just stupid!

Here it is! My public vow! I will never buy another new Guzzi as long as MGNA is in charge here. I have had my fill of their BS on warranty claims for two bikes now. Better to just buy a new used one, then fix it up yourself to get it right the first time. I did this with my '89 Mille GT and was a much happier person for it.

Then, to make it more fun, the Dealer parts book lists the price of one intake rubber at $78!!!!!!!

It may be a mistake, but I haven't been able to verify it.

I bought new factory boots from Joe Eish, of Eish Enterprises, in Salinesville Ohio. He charged me less than $10 a piece for them. God Bless old Joe! He runs a great old fashioned shop!

They seem to be made of a very heavy heat resistant vinyl. They ARE molded with a thick ring in the middle so when it it is in place the air flow thru the TB to the head is smooth. Straight rubber pipe isn't a good substitute here. It needs to be molded to fit.

Some of these boots seem to last just fine. Others seem to rot quickly. Guzzi's rubber parts have been problematic like this for decades now that I have seen.

Yah, my v65 rubbers use to start cracking after a few months.

I used to reinforce them with silicone sealant and some cloth laminated on top. It would peel off, but would slow down the ozone damage and keep the hose clamps from digging into the rubber.

I was thinking of laminating with Neoprene cement and fiberglass.

But if they are vinyl, than a different adhesive may work better.

If they were built just a little better, it would be a non-issue.