Bevel box apart

Guest Brian Robson

Guest Brian Robson

For the past few days after a fast run, there had been drips of oil on the rear wheel (not grease). Yesterday a gusher, although the real loss was not as bad, as the level in the box seemed OK.

With the bevel box apart, it was the inner seal that was shot....this is the one behind the large needle bearing.

The signs were that there was obvious spray on the wheels, but also that the gear fluid had turned coffee coloured and was leaking onto the axle and then out past the splines and onto the wheel.

This was repaired by Gord at Valley Yamaha in about 1 Hour, and they had both the inner and outer seals in stock as well as the O-ring.

The bike is still under warranty, but I paid for the repair and the store will claim off MG, as they may well claim that the mileage puts it out of warranty (71,000KM)

I think the cost was a very reasonable $130....Canadian.

I've seen it done and would tackle this problem myself next time.

I've known of Gordy @ Valley Yamaha for many years [he has a Laverda 1200 Mirage], and he is a top notch motorcycle mechanic. I'd trust him to work on my bike, and that says alot, as I'm very privy to who touches my machines.

Ciao, Steve G.