Anyone interested in Dakar?

Dirtybill

great post .. thanks.

coincidentally, I was viewing the www.dakar.com site recently. While shopping for a second bike, the KTM Adventure was a candidate and of course nearly all the bikes in the Dakar list this year are KTM's.

It's a goal/dream of mine to ride somewhere "exotic" before my own valves give up and I blow a gasket (no, nothing impending...) I don't think I'll do Dakar, especially since neither the V11 or Tuono would be up to the task..

I have been looking at these sites though..

http://www.hctravel.com/chinamongolia.htm

or this one..

http://www.asianbiketour.com/Motorcycle_to...LAOS_Tour_5.htm

Fun stuff

Cheers, Tim

Where do you live? Because Baja is supposed to be fun. Some friends of mine are going again this year. They're trailering their dualsport 650s to San Fran and meeting up with some guys from the Oakland club and then riding down to Cabo San Lucas and back. Leaving next Wednesday. I just can't afford it at the moment. There's tentative plans for a trip to Copper Canyon Mexico in October. I definitely want to make that one!! I wish I still had my Quota as it would be good for these trips.

East of San Fran. I've thought about Mexico too. I've got a KLX300R (not street registered) that I could slap an IMS tank on... But I'd have to trailer it to Baja..

Wish your friends good luck for me...

Cheers, Tim

East of San Fran.  I've thought about Mexico too.  I've got a KLX300R (not street registered) that I could slap an IMS tank on... But I'd have to trailer it to Baja..

Wish your friends good luck for me...

Cheers, Tim

39821[/snapback]

Well as you probably know, anything is street legal in Mexico :bier:

If you want, keep in touch and I'll let you know about the Copper Canyon trip. Some of the guys from the Oakland Club are going. We need them cos they're fluent in Spanish :P

We're thinking of either shipping or trailering the bikes to San Diego this time. I've got a KLX400 so I don't really look forward to riding it from Vancouver BC to San Diego. If money and a good deal come my way, I'm going to try an pick up a used KLR650/DR650/XR650 or XR650L. A friend of mine picked up an Elephant for cheap recently and is fixing that up.

We're also planning a trip to Florence Oregon in the spring for some sand dune action if you're interested.

I heard of a guy that did the Copper Canyon trip on a 97 Sport 1100i. More cajones than I've got, to be sure.

39847[/snapback]

Just about any bike if ridden for the conditions, can be used. Up here, we have lots of single track trails with millions of trees. Plus muddy conditions sometimes. Not good for a heavy bike. Mexico however, has fairly wide open spaces and it doesnt really matter if you hit a cactus on a 1000 or a 250, it's gonna hurt!!

1 of the guys who was supposed to go to Baja this year has a KTM950 Adventure. Too bad he backed out because I wanted to hear about any reliability issues after he came back.

If it can be proven to me that these 950s are reliable then I just may sell the R1 and buy one. The V11Sport however is staying!!!!!!!! :helmet:

You guys might want to check out www.rallyconnex.com which is a group based in Ontario and can hook you up for the Dakar for about $40k USD ( but they add it can easily run 2 or 3 times more depending on the options you select ).

Closer to home ( and reality for me ) check out the Quebec 2000 TSD at www.motorally.ca. Much as the title implies it will be a 2000km, 5 day event in Quebec and has been generating alot of interest. Its geared to LC4s and 950s but I think there is a non-competition option with easier routing. I've all ready volunteered to be a sweep rider.

They also do some adventure tours including one to Copper Canyon. I don't have any first hand knowledge with this group but they get rave reviews on advrider.

Bruce

Bill,

Have you tried the 950 off road? Its the wildest thing I've ever experienced. Way, way too much temptation for me. Fierce wheel spin up to 75 mph but the bike is totally stable. I felt like superman on it, absolutely invincible!

Let us know if you get one.

Apparently OLN will be showing DaKar highlights after Jan 22nd. Its a shame about Speed TV, they have lamer and lamer programing each go around.

Europe seems to have much more interesting Motor Sport programs.

Bruce

Bill,

Have you tried the 950 off road? Its the wildest thing I've ever experienced. Way, way too much temptation for me. Fierce wheel spin up to 75 mph but the bike is totally stable. I felt like superman on it, absolutely invincible!

Let us know if you get one.

Apparently OLN will be showing DaKar highlights after Jan 22nd. Its a shame about Speed TV, they have lamer and lamer programing each go around.

Europe seems to have much more interesting Motor Sport programs.

Bruce

39979[/snapback]

I havent ridden one yet but a friend who is a good rider and doesnt BS about bikes took one out and was very impressed. He also went to the annual Sheet Iron dual sport run in northern California last year and said the 950s were amazing for such a big bike. Apparently a new rear knobbie is toast after one weekend if you ride as hard as these guys were. But help is on the way from Terraflex. They make a steel belted DOT approved knobby that is huge. The knobs are almost 3 inches long on it. A friend with the 640 Adventure has one on his bike and says it's squirrely on pavement but just excellent in the dirt.

Actually, I wouldnt mind a slightly used 640 either. A helluva lot cheaper than a 950. I can't even find one on ebay let alone any for sale around here.

If you want, keep in touch and I'll let you know about the Copper Canyon trip. We're also planning a trip to Florence Oregon in the spring for some sand dune action if you're interested.

Ya.. keep in touch.. I'd be interested in something like this.. especially if I can figure out a way to trailer the bike to Mongolia !!

Cheers, Tim