Brembo wheel destroyed

Guest tiger956

Guest tiger956

i bought a 2002 LeMans and the man i bought it from said the front wheel came apart on a straight road at 60 mph and thru the bike onto the ground....i've got the front wheel and there is a 8" section missing from one side of the wheel and the front forks are bent beyond any kind of repair........2 things here......ONE is I need a good set of front forks for a 2002 LeMans and .....2nd Has anyone else ever heard of this before???? The man said he was going in a straight line and the next thing he knew he was on the ground sliding down the road at 60 mph thanks gary

Guest aj howard
i bought a 2002 LeMans and the man i bought it from said the front wheel came apart on a straight road at 60 mph and thru the bike onto the ground....i've got the front wheel and there is a 8" section missing from one side of the wheel and the front forks are bent beyond any kind of repair........2 things here......ONE is I need a good set of front forks for a 2002 LeMans and .....2nd      Has anyone else ever heard of this before????  The man said he was going in a straight line and the next thing he knew he was on the ground sliding down the road at 60 mph    thanks          gary

39818[/snapback]

Are the wheels made by Brembo?... the brakes are but I didn't think they were in the wheel business as well.

I am to lazy to walk out to the garage and look, one of the guys in the know should be able to tell us. :thumbsup:

There was a problem with a wheel on a Stone Cracking but it did not come apart.

Although anything is possible, my guess is the guy lost it and wanted something to blame besides himself.The wheel probably bit it when he crashed.

Guest tiger956
The wheels are made by brembo. Brembo owns also marchesinni, the "expensive" wheels manufacturer. So you need 2 legs and a wheel? or more. Isn't a problem here in europe, I don't know what's available over the ocean.

39844[/snapback]

i don't mind paying freight from europe for the forks if i can purchase a good set i've already got the wheel thanks gary

Guest tiger956
Are the wheels made by Brembo?... the brakes are but I didn't think they were in the wheel business as well.

I am to lazy to walk out to the garage and look, one of the guys in the know should be able to tell us. :thumbsup:

There was a problem with a wheel on a Stone Cracking but it did not come apart.

Although anything is possible, my guess is the guy lost it and wanted something to blame besides himself.The wheel probably bit it when he crashed.

39831[/snapback]

Yes the wheels are Brembo they make wheels for almost all of the itialian and german motorcycles i've got another wheel already it's the forks i'm looking for or a cross reference to what other forks might work in place of the factory items thanks gary

i bought a 2002 LeMans and the man i bought it from said the front wheel came apart on a straight road at 60 mph and thru the bike onto the ground....

Gary, this after the owner mounted his own tire with the Harbor Freight tire changer perhaps? Sounds like there is alot more to the story... never heard of one coming apart on it's own, without alterior motives.

The LeMans has forks that are 1" longer then the "standard" V11S forks... Just an FYI.

I know where there are/will be two sets of OEM V11S forks available in the U.S.. One '00 silver-colored pair, and mine are '02 Rosso Mandello black anodized.

Contact me direct if you're interested,

ToddGuzziTech.com

If this is the one I'm thinking of the previous owner bought the wheel along to the National rally in South Dakota last year where I and others were able to have a good look at it. I've got some pics at home so I can send 'em to someone to post when I'm back from the coast but to me the wheel definitely showed signs of having hit something, not only on the side where the rim has split away but there were distinct markings on the other side too. To me it looked like it had been gutter-jumped by someone fairly enthusiastically and without much care and then he didn't inspect it afterwards and it then failed in service.

I didn't meet the owner in person but a few of those who did seemed to infer he was a bit of a dill and a mouth breather. I've never heard of another case of a wheel cracking. certainly not in the way he described.

pete

Guest tiger956
Gary, this after the owner mounted his own tire with the Harbor Freight tire changer perhaps? Sounds like there is alot more to the story... never heard of one coming apart on it's own, without alterior motives.

The LeMans has forks that are 1" longer then the "standard" V11S forks... Just an FYI.

I know where there are/will be two sets of OEM V11S forks available in the U.S.. One '00 silver-colored pair, and mine are '02 Rosso Mandello black anodized.

Contact me direct if you're interested,

Todd<at>GuzziTech.com

39857[/snapback]

i sort of agree as i've also got a 2001 Aprilia Falco and a 2003 Mille with brembo wheels and i sold a BMW R 1100 RSL that was 10yrs old with Brembo wheels as well and i've never had a problem and no one i've talked to has either but i feel it's important to post it as it's a major item, that for some reason if there would be a fault in casting the wheels this is a great place to post to other people current events.

I've never heard of wheel failure of that sort that hadn't had some sort of damage done to it previously. Smacking into a curb would qualify.

i bought a 2002 LeMans and the man i bought it from said the front wheel came apart on a straight road at 60 mph and thru the bike onto the ground....i've got the front wheel and there is a 8" section missing from one side of the wheel and the front forks are bent beyond any kind of repair........2 things here......ONE is I need a good set of front forks for a 2002 LeMans and .....2nd Has anyone else ever heard of this before???? The man said he was going in a straight line and the next thing he knew he was on the ground sliding down the road at 60 mph thanks gary

Here's your first option. Get a front wheel off of eBay, that's what I did when I totalled my V11 Sport last year. There's only a few sizes for the front - maybe only one. I have no idea what my wheel came from, I only know that the rim width was the same. Since most of bake makers are sourcing directly from Brembo for brakes, you'll find more than few that are compatible. You generally have to change all of the bearings and spacer sleeves, so be absolutely certain that you don't lose the ones from your old wheel. Especially with some of the earlier Guzzi sport models.

Here's a set of wheels on eBay for a Ducati. You could try for them and then sell the rear or email the seller to see if the front wheel could be obtained separately.

eBay Brembo wheels

DSC00134.jpg

The forks are a little more difficult. There are, as Todd mentioned, several sets available for V11 Sports - he has two, I have a set (re-valved) and there are probably others. LeMans forks are a little harder to come buy and you may have to wait for awhile for a set to come around on eBay or wherever. The high dollar route would be to get some Ohlins. If the LeMans fairing is toast, it is very expensive and you may want to consider converting the bike to a naked sport. You could just make it naked for now using V11 Sport forks and wait patiently for a set of LeMans forks to become available.

And I didn't know Brembo owned Marchesini. I doubt seriously that close inspection would reveal any other than a change in names on the two brands of wheel. It would be interesting to know if one really is superior to the other.

Guest tiger956
If this is the one I'm thinking of the previous owner bought the wheel along to the National rally in South Dakota last year where I and others were able to have a good look at it. I've got some pics at home so I can send 'em to someone to post when I'm back from the coast but to me the wheel definitely showed signs of having hit something, not only on the side where the rim has split away but there were distinct markings on the other side too. To me it looked like it had been gutter-jumped by someone fairly enthusiastically and without much care and then he didn't inspect it afterwards and it then failed in service.

I didn't meet the owner in person but a few of those who did seemed to infer he was a bit of a dill and a mouth breather. I've never heard of another case of a wheel cracking. certainly not in the way he described.

pete

39859[/snapback]

That has to be him as he lives in South Dakota as well, and goes to the meets alot he said thanks gary