Questions about exhaust mods ????

quazi-moto

I already have a set of Staintunes on the '02 LeMans and they look and sound super. For this coming spring I'm contemplating the purchase of the Stucchi X-over pipe and maybe the FBF intake mod kit. Will these mods require a different EFI map? Will I need a power commander? I have no intention of making radical modifications, I just want to fatten up the mid-range while producing a sweet exhaust note. Any advice is welcome. Thanks. :sun:

A Power Commander Map or Ultimap will most likely greatly enhance your bike. For your set up, some of the available PCIII maps will be close, but getting a custom map is key.... but from a good tuner.

How do you like your Staintunes?

I'd like to see the dyno results if you go that route.

Staintune is reluctant to make horsepower claims, but there is no reason they should not put out more hp than stock.

I already have a set of Staintunes on the '02 LeMans and they look and sound super. For this coming spring I'm contemplating the purchase of the Stucchi X-over pipe and maybe the FBF intake mod kit. Will these mods require a different EFI map? Will I need a power commander? I have no intention of making radical modifications, I just want to fatten up the mid-range while producing a sweet exhaust note. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.  :sun:

Yes and no. According to the Stucchi documentation, you don't need to retune for their X-over. Based on my personal experience, I would say that this is true... of course, there may be exceptions.

Now, if you plan to open up the intake on a bike that already has an aftermarket exhaust, then yes... you will definitely need to retune the EFI somehow as these bikes don't use an airflow sensor and will run lean with a stock map.

You do not NEED Power Commander but, on the other hand even on a totally stock bike a PC with a stock bike map will definitely greatly improve your fuelling.

Power Commander, no matter the bike configuration, is a single most useful and most bang for a dollar mode you can do. It does NOT increase horsepower but it greatly improves driveability.

That's my statement and I stick to it.

Guest Ragin' Pit Bull
It does NOT increase horsepower but it greatly improves driveability.

That's my statement and I stick to it.

I've personally have seen bikes with Power Commanders on them increase horserpower by getting a custom map. I've seen up to 8 horsepower difference. I gained about 4-5 horsepower on my Guzzi by getting a custom map vs. the stock map that came with it.

The PRIMARY function of PC is not to increase horsepower but to improve fueling. If the bike runs as it should from the factory then the proper fueling will hardly increase the horsepower.

Janusz has explained it well. Any Hp gains come from the units ability to make your bike run more efficiently. My bike picked up 2-3 Hp across most of the range. It reduced the size of the dip in midrange power by over half and eliminated all driveability problems.

It'll be fun to get a few more mods done this Spring and then have FBF use their tuning link on it. I would expect another improvement in mid range power and perhaps even a bit more on top.

I don't want to weight the powerband of my bike all to the top like a race bike, but any "balanced" gains that can be had will be fun to pursue!

I'm very happy with the PCIII. The bike runs superbly. Never better!