ouch ouch ouch

beauchemin

JRT - would you choose that option again?

40723[/snapback]

In a heartbeat. I couldn't get around an entire suit of puke yellow, but I can happily live with the top. I don't know why...guess I'm 33-67% dork instead of 100%.

I also find it appealing that I can strip off the suit in 10 seconds

The two-piece is a little slower getting off because there are two zippers instead of one- takes like 12 seconds.

Jason

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got a good leather jacket, so I doubt I would get the top half... especially considering the comments about heat, as I am quite "warm natured". Although if I take another multi-day/multi-climate ride, I'll probably opt for a textile for the flexibility/storage it offers. I had a jacket by TourMaster that was also kinda hot, but ventilated well enough.

Question: How well do the textile pants play with the Guzzi soft clearcoat? Some of these textile pants seem quite abrasive, and I've often wondered/worried that the pants would abrade the finish.

al

Question:  How well do the textile pants play with the Guzzi soft clearcoat?  Some of these textile pants seem quite abrasive, and I've often wondered/worried that the pants would abrade the finish.

al

40756[/snapback]

I have the Tourmaster textile pants and love them for their comfort, waterproofness, and armour. My only complaint is that they are like sandpaper to the tank. I messed up the tank on my MZ before I did something about it. When I picked up the Ballabio I immediately ordered some clear plastic protective sheets for the knee cut-out areas of the tank. These have done their job well...I can see where the scratches are on the plastic but the paint underneath is still perfect.

Randy

A couple of comments:

From a European study helmet color is also important and I seem to recall that white tested well. I've noticed that dark or multi-color helmets tend to blend right in to the background. Talk about dorks, I wear a school bus yellow Arai which a friend calls "the light bulb."

Also, the famous Guzzi head light is not what you'd call penetrating. There is a bluish-white replacement bulb ( about $10 ) which is the same wattage but seems much brighter. Again, while riding around you can tell you has them and who doesn't right away.

To Al's comment about textile scratching the tank, my Darien Jacket definetly abrades the tank so I use plastic sheeting as Mr. Bean suggests.

I have a set of cycle world textile pants with armor. These are great- no complaints at all after wearing for one season. They are warm in the cold and keep me cool in the heat (as long as I'm moving). Don't seem to hurt the bike at all. But then again, my gas tank has three of those plastic protectors on it.

I tend to only wear the pants however when I'm out on a cruise. If I just want to go around town or make a local run into the hills, I wear jeans (!). Thinking about getting those Icon street jeans -- any word on how they do???

Guest Brian Robson

I wear the Gran Raid pants and haven't noticed any damage on the tank...look on any scuffing as patina.

However my fingers have worn through the paint on the brake and clutch levers....we could start another thread on "Do you ride with 2 fingers covering the levers"? :D

I've never covered a tank with any stuff since I did it on a Speed Triple and when removing it, also removed most of the paint on one side of the tank.

I'm really impressed with the quality of the paintwork.

Brian,

How do you like the Gran Raids? I am not much into Branded gear but some of the MG stuff seems to be well made and good value.

Bruce

Guest Brian Robson
Brian,

How do you like the Gran Raids? I am not much into Branded gear but some of the MG stuff seems to be well made and good value.

Bruce

40779[/snapback]

I think they are excellent pants and have remained waterproof through 2 winters (but I do annually do the Nikwax re-waterproofing thing). They are amazingly warm (riding at -8C this am), with good armour at the knees

I bet you'd  get noticed in this helmet  :grin:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...3&category=6749

40782[/snapback]

Oh my, Tx, they made the same helmet in neon orange, and I had that one! Not pretty, but visible!

Unnecessary paint damage is something I unconsously try to avoid, without going overboard. I use my machine in the crappy weather [though I can't even come close to the hardiness of Brian Robson :notworthy: ]. I have used tank bags for years, and can confirm that they all cause damage if used regularly, prevented with quick application of tape.

Damage from the rider rubbing against the tank [carefull guys] can be prevented more or less with clear mak-tack on the tank down near the private parts. Gortex or other nylon based garments can strip the clear coat off of paint real quick, but road grit and leathers can do just about as much damage. Without being paranoid, you can protect the paint, but ultimately the more the machine is used, the more the cosmetics will degrade. Alternately, the less you use your machine, the worse off your engine, as engines don't do well not being used regularly. I'm thinking somewhere in between is where most of us stand.

Ciao, Steve G.

Dan, Dan, Dan....

It's more like the Michelin man and an exotic dancer had an out-of-wedlock, red-headed child.

Seriously- if they look dorky, so be it.  I'm comfortable with that.

And does this suit make my butt look fat?  I could swore I only looked 350 lbs....

40708[/snapback]

You look, er....ahem..........awesome.. Like a big lemon lollipop. Seriously, the black pants make it better, but if you're wearing a 2-piece suit, what's to stop you from *forgetting* to put on the bottom half and go in your jeans? The only advantage to the 1-piece roadcrafter, as I understand it, is it FORCES you to put the max protection on your body everytime you start up the bike, no decisions required.

I got textile overpants and never use 'em. Hot, bulky and nasty.

I tend to only wear the pants however when I'm out on a cruise.  If I just want to go around town or make a local run into the hills, I wear jeans (!).  Thinking about getting those Icon street jeans -- any word on how they do???

40762[/snapback]

I bought a pair of the IKON jeans to see if they'd make a better alternative to Blues. They fit me awfully, have stretch panels that seem to be in the wrong places and really looked like crap. Other than that, they were G-R-E-A-T :grin: YMMV, of course........no recommendation.

Dan

You look, er....ahem..........awesome.. Like a big lemon lollipop.

:D You're sweet, Dan.

I can't forget the pants because they are zipped to the jacket. I'm not forced to wear them, but in practice I usually do. If it gets too hot, I can either zip the pants down (the zipper unzips from top toward bottom) or just take them off. There's some ventilating zippers on the pants, but you are correct- they can get pretty hot. On the plus side, I'm just more comfortable wearing it. Not body-temp comfort, but mentally comfortable.

I'm not sure where you live, but heavy textile suits like this are not a good solution for everyone. I couldn't wear it if I still lived in Texas but it's ok for the midwest because it doesn't get too hot here (except for 2 weeks in August).

Has anyone tried the Joe Rocket or related style ventilated riding pants? Those look like they would be ok for hot weather.

J