Agip availability suffering

Steve G.

Hi Tiger956,

I've long used Agip 4t ester based full synthetic in probably the toughest application in motorcycling, the Laverda 3 cylinder engine. This unit is comprised completely of roller bearings throughout, as well as a shared gearbox, wet clutch, no stock oil filter other than a metal mesh, and smaller sump capacity. It's ability to de-shear, and reduce the oil's viscosity of an automotive oil is high! To say Agip4t is overkill in an non-shared gearbox/engine application such as the beloved Moto Guzzi v-twin is an understatement.

Recently, my local Agip dealer in western Canada has lost the selling rights to the motorcycle based oils to Parts Canada, where it now can only be purchased in bike shops at a considerable price increase. I wish to still use this in a couple of my bikes which I feel need this additive mixture of oil. Could you tell me Tiger where you are based? I'm curious and serious about availability through yourself.

The possibility of the old sythetic vs dinousaur oils may come up with this thread. I would like to e-mail anyone who would like to read a most recent analisis of what exactly is available out there for purchase at the present time, and how tricky the markerters of oil companies have gotten, using the "synthetic" word as a ploy to raise prices for implyed improved performance. To put it bluntly, I will never buy "semi-synthetic" again, and will only use "ester" based oils in my air cooled engines. Agip 4t 20-50 is but 3 oils which I will use from now on, in my Laverda.

There is a big difference!

Ciao, Steve G.

There is an Amsoil dealer in Abbotsford, and probably more dealers near you.

http://www.lubedealer.com/hiebert/

I would not limit myself to Agip as any full synthetic motorcycle oil should do the trick.

And arguably other oils, too.

I think Guzzitech is an Amsoil dealer.

I like Maxum oil myself.

http://www.maximausa.com/

You can get it here:

Motovan Motosport Corporation

Customer Service

T: (800) 663-0161

F: (604) 276-0651 2060 Van Dyke Place

Richmond, British Colulmbia

Canada

V6V 1X9 www.motovan.com

contact@motovan.com

Interesting you should mention Amsoil. This along with Agip is one of the rare true synthetics, in other words made from an ester base, and is highly recommended. The key word is true synthetic. Most all automotive synthetics are an advertising fraud, with none based purely with synthetic base, and even motorcycle specification semi-synthetics generally have only 10-33% synthetic base stock.

The local reps in Abbotsford have a good display of the Amsoil product at the Vancouver International Bike Show, which happens to be 1 1/2 weeks away. I'm going to have to talk to the lads there, as I seem to remember they have a show special for a case or more of the oil. Amsoil, because of their American origin, has always been quite dear, but since the devaluation of the us$, I'm hoping the reduction in price for the local rep will be sent down to the retail sale level. On the rare occasion that Amsoil is seen in bike shops, it is not very atractively priced compared to other high level bike oils.

I've seen Maxim at most all motorcycle shops here. This is where I would purchase this product, as Motovan is a wholesale supply house for bike shops only.

Thanks for the good info.

Ciao, Steve G.

The Maxima Maxum

is also a true synthetic made from(with???) pharmaceutical grade esters.

My dealer was putting in the semi synthetic for me and the stuff seemed to last and I was not burning oil.

I started doing oil changes myself.

I tried Mobile 1 automotive and found that the engine was noisier than before the oil change.

1000 miles later I went back to the dealer for the synthetic blend, it ran quietly again.

the next oil change I tried Motul 5100 15w50 ester based synthetic for motorcycles.

The bike ran quietly, but I started consuming oil, about a liter every 1500miles!!!

I figured that my bike was just getting old, but then I went back to the Maxum 20W50 semi-synthetic and it stopped consuming oil, barely a drop on the stick after ~2000 miles. I recently added about 8 ounces to bring it up to the top of the stick.

Could the difference between 15W50 and 20W50 make such a huge difference? I don't know. But there is a big difference between the two oils. Both claim to be Ester based, but one is superior for my needs.

And the Mobile 1 automotive is out of the question for me....

Your mileage will vary.

You can checkout the Maxima oil line here:

http://www.maximausa.com/products/4stroke/...4synthblend.asp

They give flash point and viscosity ratings, so you can compare to Amsoil and Agip or what have you.

I still think that since we have a dry clutch and no catalytic convertor, the ideal oil would be an Ester based Automotive oil with friction modifiers and a high concentration of zinc additive.

Someone posted that they used mobile one and added a zinc additive.

I am going to move to Maxum synthetic Extra next, but the data on it indicates it will have lower viscosity at operating temperatures...and it costs a lot more...But it may last longer and will save my engine with cold startups...not a big problem in san diego :grin: