Fuel Tank Rub

O2 V11

o2_v11_105.jpgo2_v11_098.jpgThe flanks of my tank are rubbing on the sidecovers. The left side is worse than the right. I have only had my tank off once, that was when I first got the bike to remove the EPA canisters and associated plumbing. The front of the tank when fitted has a vertical movement of about a 1/4 of an inch as well. Is this normal? I have included a couple of pics of the tank mounting bolt and the sidecover itself with the tank lifted to show the contact area.

Is there anything different here to anybody elses?

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob,

There is definitely something wrong here - I just had my tank off today, I have a 2003 Le Mans, and there is no sign of any rubbing either at the sides or the rear, and the rear of the tank isnt close to fouling on the side panels. I also dont have any play once the bolt is tightened up its pretty much rock solid.

Was your tank hooked up under the rubber mounts properly at the front ? I had to have a couple of tries to get mine back in exactly the right position. :luigi:

Rgds,

Ken

??? :!: ??? :!: ???

Light me up, please...

40404[/snapback]

Antonio,

What I meant was the photos show that the fuel tank and sidepanels are

misaligned - certainly compared to my bike. There has to be some reason for this which is leading to the rubbing - dont have any sign of this.

Rgds,

Ken

Guest ratchethack

Rob, I can't tell from your photos if you have the same situation I had. I purchased my Sport 11K miles ago. It had 10K on the clock. At that time I noticed that the "inside flanks" of the tank had started to rub against the side covers, taking the paint off. I put a large 1/4" thick nylon washer underneath the rear tank mounting eye, which eliminated the rubbing. It looked to me like there should have been a thick rubber washer under there (mine came to me without). It appears that you have one in your photo. :huh2:

Thanks for the input. As kenr stated, I may have not had the front of the tank positioned correctly on the front rubbers. If I can't get it to sit any better I will have to put an additional washer under the rear as per ratchethack's solution.

Thanks,

Rob

I noticed this problem after I had one of my side covers replaced under warranty for cracking. I really think the tank putting pressure down on the cover is what cracked it, and has since put additional washers under the rear locating/fastening bolt of the tank to prevent this happening any more.

Another of those things that a Moto Guzzi employee should have attended to!

Ciao, Steve G.

I noticed this problem after I had one of my side covers replaced under warranty for cracking. I really think the tank putting pressure down on the cover is what cracked it, and has since put additional washers under the rear locating/fastening bolt of the tank to prevent this happening any more.

40465[/snapback]

I had one replaced for the opposite reason. My tank was not touching the side covers at all and I had a side cover crack. The reason given was it could have vibrated due to no load on it (it did shake a bit) so the new one had extra thick 'door seal' added and no problems since!

I now have CF sidecovers and a CF tailpiece coming so I can save the original bits. It looks better and they don't crack! Pictures coming when the CF tailpiece arrives - via TLM.