AMP Meter?

Guest Bruce

While riding I'd like to know how hard the bike's charging system is working. So I am looking into adding an amp meter some where within easy view while on the road. One of my winter projects is to go through the electrical system repairing and upgradings as needed.

The reasons for doing this are two fold:

1) I've added an e-vest and will be doing e-grips this spring. No problem with the e-vest but I did keep the revs up just in case and I did worry about it. Also, I'd like to know how much 'head room' there is and if below a certain RPM if the battery is discharging to keep up with demand.

OEM specs on electrical output are too simple. For example, it may state that the maximum output is 350w but at what RPM? Also, what is the life expectancy of the various bits and pieces at max load? This leads me to the second reason.

2) There is a good article by Marc Cook in a recent issue of Motorcyclist about charging systems where he points out that a bad contact can damage the electrical system because it is max'ed out all the time. This got me thinking. Many moons ago I worked as a mechanic while in school and I still recall a frantic customer who had been through 4 alternators in the past year. It turned out that the battery cable had been badly damaged which was actually the root cause of the alternator problems.

So first of all I am going to inspect all of my contacts ( clean, shiny, etc ) to make sure they are good. Also, I wonder if you max out the charging system with a bunch of accessories if you don't pay the price in early component failure. A common airhead GS mod is to upgrade the generator and regulatory as they apparently don't last that long. This makes me wonder if this is due to running alot of accessories. These guys tend to ride in all conditions and with all sorts of accessories. Newer BMWs put out something like 800 watts!

Has anyone played around with this?

Hi Bruce,

I'm not sure there are any updates to the charging system. Could be wrong on that one, though. The only thing that springs to mind is a 28A unit from mgcycle and I'm not sure it will work...shoot, doesn't matter anyway since that's only 340 watts.

Do you have Gary Cheek's suggestions on wiring? He made some excellent notes on improving the headlight relay and running an extra grounding strap.

If older Guzzi's are any indication, max charging is supposed to be at 2.4K rpm and above. I think this is optimistic.

Jason

Here's a simple solution (maybe too simple). Though I like the single bulb application as opposed to a gauge.

CLICK

40841[/snapback]

That's because you're a gizmo guy :nerd: Don't you think a bike with a tractor motor should have gauges with needles that swing back & forth ? :huh2: A Autometer gauge with either white or black face depending on what you have now would be the shizzle drizzal dizzle floog. :rasta:

Guest MotoMessiah
That's because you're a gizmo guy  :nerd: Don't you think a bike with a tractor motor should have gauges with needles that swing back & forth ?  :huh2:  A  Autometer gauge with either white or black face depending on what you have now would be the shizzle drizzal dizzle floog. :rasta:

40853[/snapback]

Very true. :) Though I'd rather have a oil press or temp gauge.

A voltmeter would be easier to install and give you similar information.

40836[/snapback]

Plus a voltmeter doesn't need heavy guage wire to give accurate readings (if by chance the heavy guage wire for an ammeter shorts out you will have serious electrical damage).

The Dutch make cheese. The Belgians make bakelite. Go figure....

40961[/snapback]

Think I'd prefer to eat the bakelite, although I have heard that Edam is good for use as engine mountings......... :grin: