AMP Meter?

Guest Bruce

Prior to the V11 Sport models, the late model Guzzi's had a loop of wire that (electrically) ran between the starter and the voltage regulator that had a single contact connector in between the two points. Physically, this wire ran up to the front of the bike where the connector was, and then looped back to the rear. My guess is that this was the electrical point where you would include an ammeter on a Guzzi. Few Guzzi models have had ammeters though and I suspect that the wiring harness design was somewhat of a holdover from earlier decades. That connector does not appear to be in the schematics for the newer models, although Guzzi has a tendency in their schematics to leave things out, so you never know...

I've installed VDO volt meters on my bikes for years. They've been stone reliable for me. If you wire it to the ignition switch, it'll act as a auxillary turn signal indicator and fluxuate when the signal's on. :P Wire it to the battery with some 16 gage wire and it'll give you a great indication of your charging system status.

I once had a old amp meter fail. The generator's output went through the regulator, then the amp meter and then to the battery. When the amp meter failed, so did the charging system. I was only 17 at the time. Took a while for me to find the problem. I just jumpered across the meter so I could drive to work until I could afford a new meter!