Got Snow? Sleet? Rain ?

GuzzTim

well I don't !!!!

nyah nyah nyah.. ok.. sorry for being childish, but after 10 days of rain we finally had a sunny and warmish day today... The new red bike finally got a chance to be ridden. The problem was the rider. Ever have one of those days were you feel gawky on your bike? When even the easiest of curves triggers sensory overload as you think too much about gravel, lean, speed, braking? I had one of those days today.

Ended up doing Mines Road at stupidly slow speeds.. Which was just as well as there were parts of it with 3-4" of water running across.. the odd large patch of not quite dried mud... etc..etc..

I need more riding time.

For those of you huddled in the cold and dark, it looked like this today in Northern California

oh, if I get the pipes on the Guzzi I'll do it all over again tomorrow... Woo Hoo !!!!!

Beautiful red bike :bier: Congrats again on the buy :D Don't let Dave see those ram air intakes either. I bet the Aprilia wants to absolutely fly when the rpm's get up a little bit- right...

Know what you mean on "those days" when everything seems out of whack. I get that way with tire/traction confidence -- especially with any hint of gravel. And in this weather, there's lots of that!

Tim, Mines Road-- that's that really nice road starting in San Jose (right?) going up over to that observatory and then continuing on over to like Patterson Pass Road or nearby-- right? Anyway, not Tooooo far from here -- and not sooooo far from Dave! Heck, pick another "sunny" day :helmet:

Let's pick another sunny day.

There was too much gravel on the road, to the point that I was feeling so much front end slide/slip early in the ride that I stopped a couple of times to examine the front tire pressure to see if it was flat. Like you, I hate gravel and that's why I ended up taking it nice and slow through the first half of Mines Road.

I'd suggest a ride this Sunday, but I know the road will still be in poor shape and that every squid in the neighbourhood will be out on Mines Road come Sunday morning.

Cheers. Tim

Guest Thundering Subash

I'm WAAAAAAYYYYY jealous. It's going to get to around 15 below zero in Minnesota tonight. :blink: For those of you metric folks, that's -26 Celsius. I keep trying to talk my cohorts in Phoenix AZ :sun: to do a job swap with me during the winter months, but haven't found any takers yet. :bbblll:

Oh well. At least I can get my daily V11 Lemans fix. :grin:

-Chris

:mg:

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the nice pics,. Thanks to you I just got myself a brand new (and free) wallpaper for my computer :grin:

No sleet and snow in Denmark as we speak, but we just got through a couple of storms/hurricanes, which unfortunately craved 4 lives.

Still waitng for the calender to say 01 March as that's the day when I can run my bike again. If you choose to run your bike between 01 December and 01 March here in Denmark you'll have to pay beaucoup $$$ for insurance.

Søren

Its getting down to only (in comparison to Minnesota) -9C,but its dry and I'm able to ride.

You have a reputation for hardiness... I gather at -9C you finally switch from shorts and a tshirt to long pants & jacket? :bier:

Guest Brian Robson

Nah,not at all. I use the Gran Raid suit and it seems to keep me warm enough. Plus my job usually means I ride for 30-60 mins then work indoors and so on; so there are plenty of opportunities to warm up.

Although riding throughout a BC winter means that as soon as it hits 10-12C I'm in summer gear :bike:

Guest Dave Pott
Ever have one of those days were you feel gawky on your bike? When even the easiest of curves triggers sensory overload as you think too much about gravel, lean, speed, braking? I had one of those days today.

Come on now, Tim, don't you think it's the bike you where riding and not the road conditions? I mean after all, I hear that thing is heavy, ill handling and very under-powered :bbblll:

I, on the other hand, took my sleek, hyper-sports bike Ballabio up thru Mariposa and Coulterville yesterday....dragging my knee and wheelieing the whole way to and from :race: Well, maybe :not:

Hell, I was just glad to get into some sunshine... the San Joaquin valley was blanketed in fog and mabe 40 degrees F at best <_< However, at about 2,500 ft elevation it was about 15-20 degrees warmer ans sunny :thumbsup:

Guest Brian Robson
I can vouch for the Geordie.

However, I don't think you ever really answered my question.  "Is it cold, riding?"

"It's dry". :P  :P  :P

41191[/snapback]

Today the answer would have been "its warm". Thanks to Hawaii for the "Pineapple Express" it warmed the weather up, melted the ice and dropped over 40 cm of warm rain.