posting photo of my teni--test

fernando

Different people have varying degrees of sensitivity to perineal pressure. It's a real problem-there's an artery that runs along that track and it's suceptible to being crushed if there is too much pressure on it. Yes, crushed. And it's the one that services your junk, including all the nerve tissue (and there's a fair amount of nerves there as you well know). So numbness, and erectile dysfunction are possible results. Solution- use your hip bones to sit on, not your perineum.

Fernando, I'm glad you're ok :thumbsup: and thanks for bringing this up- it's something we all should think about. I used to ride bicycles a lot, so I looked into this pretty carefully.

There's three things in life that make it worth living- good food, good motorcyles, and good companionship. I don't want to give up any of those.

J

As an ex-bicycle racer I know exactly what Fernando is talking about. I used to cover at least 17.000 km/10.000 miles a year in my racing days, so my Wiener has been numb on several occassions.

Actually one of my racing pals from back then tried the bra-looking seat but he only rode it a couple of times, 'cos everybody was giving him a lot of stick. I´ve tried all kinds of bicycle saddles - gel vs. leather, synthetic vs. ergonomic and what have you, but I ended up with a leather saddle from Italian manufactorer, Selle Italia (which means - yeah, I think you got it). When I changed bikes (I had 4 bikes - one alloy and one titatnium for racing, one MTB as well as one winterbike) I always used the same saddle. I still have it, actually, and it's at least 15-16 years old now.

To cut a long story short I just wanted to state that we all have to adapt to our own physionomics/ergonomics. If the saddle works for Fernando then it's good. Furthermore I would like to echo that I also find it positive that Fernando shares his story with us all - who knows, it could be you or me that ends up in the same situation as Fernando, and you don't joke about prostate cancer!

Enough said.

Søren

i am posting on this topic again because yesterday i went by a new harley davidson dealr in ft. lauderdale,florida and i decided to stop by and see this gigantic building / dealer. as big as the one in daytona.

anyhow ,they had a new deuce screaming eagle and the seat,a beautiful seat ,had the indentation in the middle and it ran all the way from the front to the rear .the passanger seat also had it and it was a continuationof the rider 's seat.

the great thing about it it is the quality of finish and the fact that the indentation has a metal looking strip that also runs the lenght of the seat ,and it is placed very low ,at the bottom of the indentation.

will try to get a photo of it.

i asked the sales people and was told that more riders are now asking for this . looks like word is going out.act now before it is too late.

Guest ratchethack

This is a topic worthy of serious consideration. I had enough of a run-in with the problem from a bicycle seat on a custom made road-bike to require medical treatment in the past, and really don't want to go there again via the Guzzi :bbblll:

I was hoping Rich Maund might pick up on this thread and weigh in. Rich, do you have experience fabricating seats to mitigate this? Photos of your work?

Thanks in advance!

Ratchethack

Guys

When I reshape the front of a V11 Lemans seat I shave off the crown that presses into your tailbone. Then I gel pad the entire top of the seat and bevel and blend the gel to the seat shape so everywhere you sit, you're suspended by the gel. No harsh transition between gel & foam to form a pressure point. I cover this with a 1/2" layer of soft foam to act as a thermal barrier to slow down the heat transfer rate between you and the gel. That, because the gel has mass and will get hot & cold.

You wind up with a well shaped firm seat based shaped for good support and the gel and soft foam atop that help eliminate pressure points. This IS ecnomically buildable and makes most seats much more comfortable for most riders. But the gel won't take steep compound bends and so can't be used in some cases.

I have no good way to carve and upholster over steep indentations like this to allow a zero contact area near the genitals. My materials won't support that type of seat achitecture. Being very naturally well padded on the backside myself, I have never had this problem with pressure there. But I don't do long distance rides in the IB style. I take breaks every half tank of gas to stretch. I also prefer back country roads to interstates. So I tend to stop for more traffic lights that give an opportunity to stretch. Sorry I can't be of help on this.

rich,

i went back and forth with you on this topic back then and your reply was the same.

but,i have seen a new way to fabricate the seat that may be of help to you.

i saw it on a harley.

essentially what they did is run a 3/4 to maybe 1 inch wide cut from the front all the way to the back.

but the way they did it ,i think , is by eliminating or shaving some foam in this area and then placing a plastic or steel strip a size smaller than say 1 inch , the full lenght of the seat and screwing it down ,thus forcing the indentation down sufficiently that keeps the crutch are in the air sort of.

i will try to go back to this store in ft.lauderdale and take a shot of it and post it .

but rich,does it make sense to you to do it this way.

i am not happy with the way my seats --3 of them --look and i did like the hd approach.it looks very well done and elegant .

also,ton the gel, , i found that when you seat on it for a long time and even thou there is material between you and the gel,it sort of get hot or makes you sweat.and not very comfortable. i did it this way the first time around and had to re-do it.

keep in mind that i do not know what i am doing.

in my seat i placed the gel all the way at the base of the seat ,to reduce vibrations ,and then the foam on top.and ensolite to finish it.

i found the it works better.

all the way on top ,where your ass goes i used ENSOLITE material.shock absorbing type. got it from a kayak store and it is used for kayak seats.

let me know what you think of the hd approach and if you can do it .......

I think you buried the gel deeply enough that it had no effect for you. It is best placed over a firm and well shaped base. You must sit on it. If it is buried deep, it's just buried. The soft 1/2" foam I use on top bears no weight. It is a thermal barrier only to slow down the rate of heat transfer so you don't get cooked or frozen by the gel. Putting gel on and then foam and then Ensolite really negates the purpose of the gel and foam layers.

Putting a strip like that and fastening it down to the pan makes a great rain gutter and will soak the seat material leading to damage and mildew. It would also stress the cover and will lead to cutting/breaking of it where the strip contacts it.

I have gone over much of this before. that's why I stated that my materials won't support this seat architecture.

I notice the current Motorcycle Consumer News has a good article on this topic.

Picture_007.JPGPicture_008.JPGrich ,

am enclosing ,trying anyhow, 2 photos of the harley with the seat.

i think that what they did ,was to shave some foam and then apply a metal band with bolst under the pan to pull it down and achive the indentation.???????

an idea anyhow.

i would like to re-do mine to make it look better.

fernando

All I can say is that Harley has a long history of doing "trendy" things with their styling. Their bikes in general are highly styled and "function" is often the last thing they consider as only a small percentage of their bikes get real miles put on them. The local HOG Members in my area think 3k miles a year is high mileage and are afraid it will hurt the "investment" they made in their bikes.

Sounds like a pyramid scheme to me! :!:

Keeping that in mind, I am in the habit of deeply questioning anything they do to their bikes in the name of comfort. In the past, many of their "comfort" accessories just looked cool and did nothing for actual comfort! Unfortunately Guzzi has followed that route too. Their "touring" EV has the worst seat ever and the $600 accessory touring seat they sell is little better. I have met a few people now who are pissed they spent money on them!

I could do to a seat like what they did on that Harley. But I'd have fab and polish a piece of SS to make that strip idea work. Steel or alloy would corrode fairly quickly. And still, there is no way around the problems of water getting in and the cover quickly wearing through and ripping open where it contacts the strip.

I just can't in clear concience take on a job that I know will have problems soon after. Sorry. I learned some hard lessons in this during my first year in business.

Guest ratchethack

Thanks for chiming in, Rich. I guess I (for one) was hoping that there might actually be more important body parts than even our asses :blink: that might thank us. As always, you ARE da man! :notworthy:

Sorry Fernando but I have to say something about the grammatical fault (twice) you made in the beginning of this thread.

I couple of years ago in Italy was a legendary man named: Omobono Tenni.

This man is now like a icon for Italy and Italian folks. But also for people who loves Guzzi and have some connection with Moto Guzzi. Omobono Tenni brought Moto Guzzi to the glory, victory and immortality.

Next time you will use this name, try to spell it good. Only for respect to Omobono.

Regards, Antonio

Next time you will use this name, try to spell it good. Only for respect to Omobono.

Regards, Antonio

41406[/snapback]

You got it Tony!

IIIIIIIIII [that's 10 "I", oh m' boyo!]

;)

Seriously, love the Tenni, woulda bought one N.O.S. from OC Motorsports last Sept. but somebody came by & scooped it up the day before I showed up w/ the money. Aaaarrrggghghghghhh!

Still want it, even tho' I'm the proud owner of a new, leftover 2003, thanks to Dave Richardson/Moto Int'l.

:thumbsup:

Ride on!

sorry,

when i type i seldom go back to review my post .not that i have not done it ,but in this case i did not.

TENNI.................

and rich, i understand your point about the harley and the seat. but ,it is not a fad. it meets a need.

i have spoken to steve corbin in california and he tells me that there is a need for this type of seat on sports bikes but people are worried or concerned that it just does not look right. or what others may think.

i guess a reversal of a fad.

if you look at bicycle seats ,the majority of the seats now offered have this .

anyhow i thank you for your input and your honesty . i guess i will continue looking for someone who will improve my seat by making it aesthetically it more appealing.