Picture of man with goat in his underpants.

pete roper

Well, it got your attention :grin:

Look, Oz importer sez that there have been several cases of V11 variants trashing their cam followers as well as the Hydro Cali's. My gut feeling is that some V11's that have been taken apart have shown the pitting associated with Guzzis that use wilder cams and run too large valve clearances, I've seen it often and don't think it is relevant to V11's at all but I thought I'd just ask here? I've not heard of a single case of failure on any of the solid bikes and definitely DON'T want to start some silly scare campaign, (Bear this in mind if anyone decides to on-post this on another forum, I've never, in 30 years of Guzzi-ing seen a failed follower/cam problem caused by the solid lifters.) but if anyone has seen problems please let me know as it *might* be relevant to my investigations of the problems with the liquid lifter bikes.

Thanks.

Pete

Tease.

41332[/snapback]

I think Pete is just trying to compete with the Guzzi Girl thread for the most "views"

I think the only valve failure related issue discussed here is the valve stem wear issue, which we probably would not have known about, except for Mike Rich tearing peoples bikes apart and finding, worse than a goat in your underware, premature wear of the stems.

Yup, I'd read that thread with interest. I was just sounding out if people had had follower problems because it was mentioned on Phil's board by the local importer dude. I'd not heard of any such problems on solid liftered bikes, only the Hydro Cali's, which have a completely different follower design which *might* concievably be part of the problem with them lunching their cams.

Anyway, sorry, you're probably not interested in that so I'll shut up. Thanks for the responses, or lack of them :D . It puts my mind at ease a bit as I'm not wanting to chase any mor chimeras than I absolutely have to with this issue. :angry:

Pete

Guest RossGuzzi

Hi Pete,

I thought I would add that some 4v heads have had cam follower pitting. I know! Seems it was a bad batch not hardened enough. Sorry if this is not valid!

Regards,

Ross.

FWIW, the Cali came up and we extracted the lifters, bled them down, re-installed and lo and behold they were way out of whack :bbblll:

Now we didn't drop the sump to check the lobes but I phoned the Oz. Importers and was told that, yes, this bike was within the range of the recall, (Which recall :huh2: Buggered if I know?????

Look, speaking to Dave, The head honcho for this stuff, he did seem genuinely concerned, (And for a miserable cynic like me to think that I think there is some hope :D ). I also phoned Todd Haven in Houston who kindly gave me the stats on what was acceptable in terms of bled-down clearance etc.

I'm hoping that Dave will send me a couple of buggered cams, some buggered lifters AND the shiny, new, replacements so I can graph them all, (If poss.), hardness test them at the mint, and see if we can get a categorical answer to why such a great idea, (For a tourer, I hate the term 'Cruiser' even though it probably applies to the Cali's.) went arse up in the first place? Using my prior knowledge of Guzzi hstory I tend to point the bone at accountants rather than the engineers. I still believe that Guzzis are fundamentally excellently engineered.

What DID piss me off was that this $22,000AU EV was delivered without any clamps on the mufflers, the bling from the LH pipe was missing and examining the threads where it is supposed to be bolted on there was still chrome plate on the threads and the splines of the bevelbox were ungreased and that was a cursory 15 minute examination before we hooked into the lifters. You might be able to say the bling fell off, but NO motorbike should be delivered to a customer without exhaust clamps!!!!! It's imbecelic!!!!!

On a lighter note I had a Ballabio in as well for a bit of a looksee and we removed the restrictors from the Remus pipes. Cor! didn't that make it a bit more lively :grin: . And to top it off another bloke dropped in with his My 16M equipped 1100 Sport! Good grief! Thre bikes under 10 years old in one day!!! Be still my beating heart!!!!! :bier::bier::bier::D

Pete

I'm hoping that Dave will send me a couple of buggered cams, some buggered lifters AND the shiny, new, replacements so I can graph them all, (If poss.), hardness test them at the mint, and see if we can get a categorical answer to why such a great idea, ...went arse up in the first place? Using my prior knowledge of Guzzi hstory I tend to point the bone at accountants rather than the engineers. I still believe that Guzzis are fundamentally excellently engineered.

Pete

41412[/snapback]

More to the point: why are they still using solids instead of roller lifters? I mean, if performance figures are shown to appreciably affect sales... Wouldn't that also help alleviate the concerns about cam pitting?