Explored some new roads today

Mark in Hollister

My original thought was to go south out of Hollister and just take whatever side roads off 25 that caught my eye. Then I figured, I really need to explore some new roads. Decided to head North, take some backroads up to San Jose and work my way up to Palo Alto. From there take Page Mill Rd. to Alpine Rd. to Pescadero Rd. to the Coast Hwy 1.

I left around 9:30 as the temp hit 45. I don't have great gear for cold weather, but figured the sun was shining briight and it would soon be getting much warmer. No such luck. About 8 miles from home, I hit heavy fog and the temp dropped to 40. With the fog condensing on me, I got freakin cold pretty quick. About 20 miles from home the fog lifted, but I was chilled enough at that point I needed to take a short break and thaw out.

The back road up to San Jose was nice, but occasional mud in some blind turns kept me from keeping the pace I had intended. At least by now it was 50 degrees and that was comfortable.

Page Mill is a great road, but lots of cars and bicycles take the fun out of it. I'll bet its wonderful on a work day. Alpine is pretty much a 1st gear ride, with lots of switchbacks, no center line, almost entirely in the shade (wet), and plenty of debris on the roadway. Slow but very scenic.

Pescadero Rd from Alpine all the way to 1 is fantastic. Most of the road is well paved with lots of variety in the turns. Later it gets deep into the Redwoods and quite spectacular.

Once I hit 1, it was 30 miles into Santa Cruz where I got lunch and headed home. About 200 miles altogether. A bit chilly, but great fun.

Good for you :thumbsup:

nice links in to pashnit saves stopping to take pics yourself

I got to ride mine Saturday 50 miles in the rain on the way back from the dealer having had the shock replaced.

I then had to pay for it the rest of the day, Debs had enough of Michael (our autistic 5 year old) creating in the back of the MPV on the way back from dropping me off. So I was left looking after the Kids with a weeks worth of ironing to keep me amused, whilst she escaped. You know how it goes, do a bit of ironing then pick up the destruction caused by our four horsemen whilst ironing. Then pick up the destruction created whilst picking up the destruction caused by....... repeat to bed time. Today she was sick in bed, very similar result. Never mind be able to ride to work tomorrow.