Advice on Tank removal / FBF Airbox install

Guest Michael Derby

Guest Michael Derby

Hi - and thanks again in advance for anyone kind enough to spend a minute jotting anything down that may be helpful, much obliged!

Will be removing tank and installing FBF Airbox lid removal and filter, this looks relatively easy, and I am a moderate wrench. Is there anything that I should keep in mind or that others have learned that they would want to share with me?

Am I right that once the tank is off this is a relatively easy task?

Torque values for that tank bolt when reinstalling? I can't find the torque value in the manual and I do not have a Guzziology book -

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!

:luigi:

Shortly after instaling the FBF airbox eliminator kit I lost 20 hp. No trouble codes and all systems funtioning normaly. After takeing the bike to an independant shop and then to the dealer a friend of mine who is an auto tech discovered that the insulation on the bottum of the tank had come loose and was being sucked onto the top of the airfilter blocking 90 % of the intake air. After two weeks and 250$ my 20 hp were found. Save yourself the hassle and reattach the insulation with some adhesive that isn't heat sensitive before you reinsall the tank.

Guest WildJackal

Turn the fuel petcock off on the left side before removing the fuel line. :homer: Remove the fuel line on the right ... I like to plug hoses with a punch ... nice tapered shaft. Remove the rear tank bolt and lift the back of the tank so you can get to and remove the two hoses in the vee of the tank. Lift the tank off. The rest is easy.

OH AND PUT ANTI-SIEZE ON THE REAR AIR BOX LID SCREW OR YOU ARE DOOMED TO EXPERIENCE MY PAIN!

When FBF shipped the air box eliminator I had ordered they neglected to sent the brackets that hold it in place! When I called them to point out their error the guy on the phone acted like it was MY fault that THEY had shipped an incomplete order!!

I wound up having brackets fabricated in order to get the bike back on the road. The FBF brackets arrived 10 days later! Moral of the story: Make sure you have all the parts before you begin the project. And don't depend on FBF to ship the order complete.

Joe