rosso mandello tire pressure/tires

richard100t

I just check my tires pressure on Storms advice. Gues what...theres 15lbs in the front & the rear :homer: ! No wonder the bike rides so hard lol. Btw Storm, did your Rosso come stock with Bridgestone Battlaxes? Thats what mine has...I figured they would come with Pirellis :huh2:

Richard, I generally run 34 psi in front and 37 in rear...anything less and the bike gets a little skittish (as you've found out)...I check it everytime I ride just in case...around here we are getting 10-15 degree variations day to day, so it can make a difference. I use my bicycle pump (check to make sure it will get on the valve stems before you buy it) to inflate the tires...works great. I had the Battleaxes, now have Michelin Pilot Roads, which are wearing well and are more than suitable for my riding style. k

Guest robbrugg

Checking out what pressure others run is a good idea, but remember that:

- Outside temp will affect what you run

- Riding style will affect pressure as you ride (speed, aggression in corners)

- Where you ride is a big factor (track, road)

- Your pressures should work with your suspension settings

Checking out what pressure others run is a good idea, but remember that:

- Outside temp will affect what you run

- Riding style will affect pressure as you ride (speed, aggression in corners)

- Where you ride is a big factor (track, road)

- Your pressures should work with your suspension settings

42806[/snapback]

Outside temp: not much! Obviously if you're racing or the temps are seriously cold, but for most street riding in the "comfortable" range of 50-100deg F, there's not going to be any changes to your tire pressures. That's why you check them cold, because once they're rolling the tire generates heat from friction and the pressure rises slightly. The standard technique for determining your correct pressure is to check it cold, ride it like you normally would & check it hot. If the pressure change is near 10% of the starting pressure [ie, 36psi cold, 40psi hot], you're on the money. Obviously, if you're looking for maximum mileage from the tire, you're going to run'em a bit "hard", since that will decrease rolling resistance, tire heating, etc.

There's another approach for finding your pressure: Look at the tire's max load & pressure [this is molded into the sidewall of every tire.] Let's say you have a 420# front & 580# rear rating, at 40 & 46 psi respectively. Take the all up wt. of your bike & you & gear, in this case, we'll use numbers for a Ballabio & a normal sized male w/ a hottie pillion: 550#+210#+115# = 875#. We'll credit the Ball'o w/ a 45/55 wt. distribution, so that's 394# front & 481# rear.

394/420*40psi = 37.5psi

481/580*46psi = 38psi

Www-BAM! There's your starting #s! Since I'm a lazy bodger, I don't bother fiddling around with things more than that: if I'm taking a heavier passenger, unless its on a long ride, then they get the standard inflation. Same goes for a lighter one.

Ride on!

:race:

Outside temp: not much! Obviously if you're racing or the temps are seriously cold, but for most street riding in the "comfortable" range of 50-100deg F, there's not going to be any changes to your tire pressures. That's why you check them cold, because once they're rolling the tire generates heat from friction and the pressure rises slightly. The standard technique for determining your correct pressure is to check it cold, ride it like you normally would & check it hot. If the pressure change is near 10% of the starting pressure [ie, 36psi cold, 40psi hot], you're on the money. Obviously, if you're looking for maximum mileage from the tire, you're going to run'em a bit "hard", since that will decrease rolling resistance, tire heating, etc.

There's another approach for finding your pressure: Look at the tire's max load & pressure [this is molded into the sidewall of every tire.] Let's say you have a 420# front & 580# rear rating, at 40 & 46 psi respectively. Take the all up wt. of your bike & you & gear, in this case, we'll use numbers for a Ballabio & a normal sized male w/ a hottie pillion: 550#+210#+115# = 875#. We'll credit the Ball'o w/ a 45/55 wt. distribution, so that's 394# front & 481# rear.

394/420*40psi = 37.5psi

481/580*46psi = 38psi

Www-BAM! There's your starting #s! Since I'm a lazy bodger, I don't bother fiddling around with things more than that: if I'm taking a heavier passenger, unless its on a long ride, then they get the standard inflation. Same goes for a lighter one.

Ride on!

:race:

42878[/snapback]

Thanx for the info : ) I went with 35 & 36 psi front & rear. What a difference! Its been 8 years since I've owned a bike. it rides so much better I didnt want to put it away. Too bad its cold & wet here, plus I dont have a licsence plate yet either lol :mg: