00-02ish? V11 instrument panel

DeBenGuzzi

IS it altogether possible to get the newer black faced dials and install them in my '00 V11 Sport. Those damn gauge markers are fading away on me. OR does anyone know of a possible even better replacement/enhancement. Maybe someway to crack open the dials and paint the markers. Although I am feeling they only open one way - broken

:huh2::luigi::bike: ,maybe not in that order

I think Carl has opened up his gauges to repaint the needle. The main problem with doing it yourself is that they may not be water tight after the repair.

I have picked up new speedo and tachs off of ebay. :thumbsup:

You could try a speedo repair shop but they are not cheap. Every time they open up a speedo or tach, they replace the bezel in order to seal the unit. They are about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a new unit.

Changing to the new black faced gauges would be costly (at least through Guzzi). I have read that the speedo uses a different cable so that would even raise the cost a little more. Even the odometer knob is different between the white and black faced speedo.

Good luck,

Mike

IS it altogether possible to get the newer black faced dials and install them in my '00 V11 Sport. Those damn gauge markers are fading away on me. OR does anyone know of a possible even better replacement/enhancement. Maybe someway to crack open the dials and paint the markers. Although I am feeling they only open one way - broken

:huh2:            :luigi:                :bike:        ,maybe not in that order

42814[/snapback]

42814[/snapback]

The gauges can be disassembled although I can also say that they aren't as watertight as they were prior to disassembly. Given that they can be taken apart, it is probable that the dial can be copied or scanned to make a new face of whatever color is desired.

Guest ratchethack
does anyone know of a possible even better replacement/enhancement. Maybe someway to crack open the dials and paint the markers. Although I am feeling they only open one way - broken

42814[/snapback]

DeBenGuzzi, it's not opening them that's hard, it's puttin' 'em back together that'll really test your patience. I've done it 3 times now. It took that many times just to realize how much time is required to spend levering & prying the bezel with screwdrivers and knives - without breaking the glass. :homer: You need a selection of both kinds of tools, and there seems to be some dependence on the way you hold your mouth involved here. A Voodoo spell or 2 couldn't hurt. The word "tedious" is just a horrific understatement. I suggest have at least 2 replacement glasses on hand and maybe a replacement bezel also before you start and take your time. It can be done with a perfect looking result that doesn't leak. Bezels (both chrome and black) and glass are available at Palo Alto Speedometer, Inc. http://www.paspeedo.com :thumbsup:

Good luck!

I believe that beyond these other issues such as requiring a new speedo cable itself:

New Speedo Cable Thread

.... the speedo drive gear in the transmission on the later "black face equipped" bikes is a different ratio, so your speedo wouldn't work properly.

al

Well I like the white faced dails much better BUT I wish the markers didn't fade so bad. Really if I could get in there with some good enamel and make'em bright as ever I'd be happy but I know thats not as easy as it sounds. So I was just entertaining the notion of getting the newer black dials as a possibility. good to know thats not a good idea.

:bike::huh2::luigi::bike:

Is it possible to get some UV protecting film to place on the speedo, maybe a window tint would work well. I bet that would slow the fading process. My dials aren't comepletely gone yet. So anyone have any ideas let me know. -Ben

:mg:

Is it possible to get some UV protecting film to place on the speedo, maybe a window tint would work well. I bet that would slow the fading process. My dials aren't comepletely gone yet. So anyone have any ideas let me know. -Ben

:mg:

42914[/snapback]

I have been thinking of making a light weight cover with a elastic band that could be stored in the tail section or even in your pocket. This would just be large enough to cover the gauges. It could be made out of a very light weight material like some of the bike covers.

Mike