DIY head work

JuhaV

Hi, just droped to say hallo,I have also a Corsa 1100i,if there is anything that we can change as experiences I'll be here for.

I bought my Corsa second hand without any Termignionis and after some research was hard to find(the same type that came with the bike), so I am opted for some Mistral,after seeing them at Agostini's shop at Mandelo I seriously concidered them and like them more.They are also made in Mandelo and that for me is A+ (From what I heard Termignoni is bought from tha Japs. and that is not good news to my ear)

The only question should be Carbon , or Titanium? :D

Mistral.JPG

....Nevermind they both fit O.K. :food:

Have a good success in your work with your Corsa. :thumbsup:

I live in Europe in the Mediteranean area (most times) :bier:

BTW which tire dimension do you use at the rear?160/70 or 160/60

I turned to 160/60 because these new sporty tires don't make them in /70 profile.

BTW which tire dimension do you use at the rear?160/70 or 160/60

I turned to 160/60 because these new sporty tires don't make them in /70 profile.

46066[/snapback]

Hello Alex,

Welcome to change experiences regarding Corsas !

About the tyre question, I also have adopted 160/60 for the rear and for the same reason. Currently I have Pirelli Diablo and for the next set I propably will try Pirelli Diablo Corsa for those very obvious reasons :D

br, JuhaV

PS. I am in Finland where the climate slightly differs from that of the Mediterranian ...

Hello Alex,

Welcome to change experiences regarding Corsas !

About the tyre question, I also have adopted 160/60 for the rear and for the same reason. Currently I have Pirelli Diablo and for the next set I propably will try Pirelli Diablo Corsa for those very obvious reasons  :D

br, JuhaV

46100[/snapback]

Yes that's a great grip tire(Pirelli)Though I have never tried them I see them getting top pf the bill critic on tests.I am currently using the Metzeler M1 Sportec and the grip I had (even right out of the box) was unbelievable.The only drawback was that they have a shorter profile than other tires 4,8mm or so.Nevertheles top grip and an about 3,5cm lowering at the back end of the bike had as a result to have the side stand relatively easy scratched on the asphalt after some conciderable lean.

Maybe if I try to lift the back of the bike and gain 1,5inches height to solve the problem,but then again I suspect that this can cost a lot (if it can be done)

Other than that I use iridium spark plugs from NGK at the exact equivelant type ot what the manufaturer suggests for my bike(BPR 6ES ),they work great, highlly recomended.

I was thinking to convert it to twin spark but it hurts me if I think that I have to make holes in my cylinders though it is a "healthy" conversion when it is done correct..

I saw that you had your cylinders bored out, I hope you resolve any problems that may have right now.To tell you the truth If I would ever do such a thing I would do it to Dynotec or to Daes-guzzi (www.dynotec.de http://www.daes-mototec.de)I have been there in Dynotec once and talked to the boss technician Jens Hoffman, actually there is more to than just boring the cylinders and adjusting valves.My :2c: opinion is to contact them too and they may give you some bit of info. Moreover it would also be a good idea since you get your machine running to take it there and check out for further optimising if it needs anything more.It will be worth all the cost.

I bought myCorsa last year and the person who had it has been in Dynotec and probably optimised it(simple a K-N filter and a Dynotec chip in-from the components that I have seen and perhaps valves)Though no boring or whatsoever, I have never had any problem in the last 20K kilometers that I am using it.The most reliable Moto that I have ever got

these "shops: are more than 1000miles away from me, there is also Ghezzi-Brian

in Itally and I suggest that you visit their site http://www.ghezzi-brian.com and check out the"Tuning" section.

All the best :bier:

Guest ratchethack
I am currently using the Metzeler M1 Sportec and the grip I had (even right out of the box) was unbelievable.The only drawback was that they have a shorter profile than other tires 4,8mm or so.Nevertheles top grip and an about 3,5cm lowering at the back end of the bike had as a result to have the side stand relatively  easy scratched on the asphalt after some conciderable lean.

46109[/snapback]

Alex, I'm also a big fan of the M-1 Sportecs, and agree with you on their excellent grip. the 160/60 is the correct aspect ratio for 4.5" rim. I was dragging my sidestand excessively until Dave recommended cutting down the rubber sidestand stop. (Thanks again, Dave!) I found that it can be cut down by approx. 60% before reaching the internal bolt. A 50% reduction in the stop provides a substantial amount of additional ground clearance. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Ratchethack

Alex, I'm also a big fan of the M-1 Sportecs, and agree with you on their excellent grip.  the 160/60 is the correct aspect ratio for 4.5" rim.  I was dragging my sidestand excessively until Dave recommended cutting down the rubber sidestand stop.  (Thanks again, Dave!)  I found that it can be cut down by approx. 60% before reaching the internal bolt.  A 50% reduction in the stop provides a substantial amount of additional ground clearance. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Ratchethack

46118[/snapback]

...LOL :grin::D , I am so happy to hear that. And this little rubber piece just fall off one day,just before I start the bike to go for a ride. :)I was thinking to stick it again back there but I guess I won't have too.

It is so strange , it is so funny but it seems that anytime this bike needs something she "talks" to me in "her" own way and I mean every time.It was so from the first time I rode with this Guzzi.I could sence a "heart" beating inside there.A special kind of relation-communication I can't explain. Have anyone noticed it in his own bike.?

That's mainly why I want to keep this bike forever,and probably won't buy any other (bye bye MGS :(:blush: )

P.S. This forum is so great (so far) nice people, friendlly attitude and :mg: , I think I found my self a new internet "home"(nest) :D

Guest ratchethack
It is so strange , it is so funny but it seems that anytime this bike  needs something she "talks" to me in "her" own way and I mean every time.It was so from the first time I rode with this Guzzi.I could sence a "heart" beating inside there.A special kind of relation-communication I can't explain. Have anyone noticed it in his own bike.?

That's mainly why I want to keep this bike forever,and probably won't buy any other (bye bye MGS :(  :blush:  )

46121[/snapback]

Alex, I too share a great passion for my Guzzi, just as many on this Forum do for their own. It's a unique thing, very hard to put into words. I've owned a dozen or so moto's. The Guzzi is the ONLY one I've owned that posesses a certain strength of character that emanates from somewhere deep within the engine and the chassis, and speaks to me the way you described. Like you, I've always known I'd have my Guzzi with me "forever". If I were to buy another bike, I would most likely be adding another Guzzi, but none - not even another Guzzi - will ever replace my Sport. :wub::mg:

Rgds.,

Ratchethack

Alex, I too share a great passion for my Guzzi, ,,,,,Like you, I've always known I'd have my Guzzi with me "forever".  If I were to buy another bike, I would most likely be adding another Guzzi, but none - not even another Guzzi - will ever replace my Sport. :wub:  :mg:

Rgds.,

Ratchethack

46127[/snapback]

I edited this post and posted the reply to the introduction forum.So that this thread doesn't get out of topic.

Check here:

Introduction Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I started my driving season today and after the first exciting 100 kms I can happily say that the winter mods (DIY ported heads, Mike Rich pistons and valves etc) were succesfull.

I still have to finetune the fuel injection and after some driving I also need to retorque the heads and adjust the valve clearances.

However, already now it is sure that there have been no ill effects because of my porting work. The engine pulls strongly from down low up to readline. It is very eager to rev and the sound is somehow more agressive.

I hope to get the bike dynoed during summer to show some hard evidence.

br, JuhaV

How many cc is it now? Sounds are also wellcome-you still have those termignionis right? 

47812[/snapback]

Alex,

There is no change in the cylinder volume. Head porting means that inlet and exhaust channels in the cylinder head have been mildly reshaped to make them better flowing. Cylinders are original.

Here is the sound. And yes, the Termignonis are still there because they are hard to beat in the design or sound.

br, JuhaV

Alex,

There is no change in the cylinder volume. Head porting means that inlet and exhaust channels in the cylinder head have been mildly reshaped to make them better flowing. Cylinders are original.

And yes, the Termignonis are still there because they are hard to beat in the design or sound.

br, JuhaV

Ooops I guess I am a bit dump...LOL. Yes you're right , this is also an interesting thing that I am thinking about to doto my bike.And since our bikes are te same model I am waiting forward to see the dyno facts >I am thinkig to do this , this summer in Germany.

Cheers ALEX

Sound is great , though a bit distorted I couldn't enjoy full quality but I an imagine though :thumbsup::bier:

• 4 weeks later...

I got the heads back,

but my digicamera is a silly little Casio,

good because it is supersmall but not as

good at closeup (less than 1 metre)

a few pics anyway:

a new FBF hicomp piston sits waiting for the head

piston.jpg

the intake port (a bit blurry):

intake.jpg

and the exhaust:

exh-port.jpg

PS of course I forgot to ask about the exhaust step,

but is no big step to the V11 pipes (or it is not now anyway :)

Please note the shiny titanium retainers on the racing springs

from Mike Rich. A shame I have to cover those up. :homer:

Hi Göran,

Looks very good ! Those FBF pistons have pretty different top shape compared to Mike Rich pistons, but on the other hand those FBFs are closer to the tradional high comp Le Mans pistons.

Can you remember how thick are the pistons rings ? Are they thinner than the original ones ?

I have been driving now about 1000 kms with my new set up and I am pleased with the results. The engine revs up very effortlessly and seems to have some additional punch in the mid and upper ranges.

Just yesterday I finalized the electronics by connecting a Tech Edge wideband probe to the system. Now wideband probe gives feedback to the ECU and thanks to Cliff's recent developments I can give different lambda targets to different parts of the map. I tested this yesterday only for about 100 kms but it works beautifully. I will try to update my www-site soon with pictures.

br, JuhaV

http://www.kolumbus.fi/koivupiha/hw2005.htm

PS. I will be going to Virtasalmi Motopark track for some "testing" in the weekend after the next one :)