facts about the need for a PC III

Guest rosso mandello

Guest rosso mandello

Hello.

My Rosso Mandello has 7000 km on the clock, fittet with Mistral exhaust and crossover, K&N filter with open lid.

I know the subjekt has been covered, and I tryed to read alle the post considering intake/exhaust mods, but I am still confused. Yesterday on a bike show in Copenhagen I talked to "mr. dyno" in Denmark,http://www.dot-e.dk/, who arrogantly told me, that if I did not buy a PCIII my engine it almost for shure would overheat and burn a hole in at least 1 piston. Then I would come crawling to him begging for a PC III.

On the other hand the people at AGOSTINI´s, whom i trust, tells me "why change a good thing", they think that the standard ECU adapts to the changes quite well.

Fact is, it runs great, thoug fuel milage is poor, 13 km/l, spark plugs looks fine, the exhaust pipes dont turn blue so I don´t think its running lean.

Finally my question: Am I on a dangerous course running the way I am, and if I should need a PC III, who has a map that fits my bike.

Hope to get som advice, ciao :huh2: Mogens

post-1249-1108811548_thumb.jpg

With the devaluation of the US dollar, it might be reasonable to buy directly from the states, in which case Todd E is the man.

Personally, I wouldn't trust anyone who predicts dire consequences when none are warranted. And by my reckoning, 13 km/L is roughly 50 mpg- which is good mileage. Now, you might benefit from a PCIII, but I've run 17Kmiles (27 Km) and no catastrophes so far. :bier:

Jason

I did similar modifications on my V-11 sport and it ran quite lean. I had several signs of a lean mixture - chaulky plugs, pinging, and discolored pipes (although pipes discolor even with a correct mixture). I added a PCIII and played with the map until I was satisfied with how the bike was running.

My map (and other V11 PCIII maps) typically have enrichments of 15%-25% at midrange rpms and throttle settings.

A few questions for others who know more than I:

1. Did you modify the TPS setting or the fuel pressure to richen the mixture?

2. Does your bike have an oxygen sensor - do all European bikes have O2 sensors? If not, how does the ECU adapt?

3. If the bike does have an oxygen sensor can the ECU actually "learn" and create the 20% enrichments required. From reading other posts I had assumed it cannot.

Anyway, I agree with the people at AGOSTINI´s - if it's not broke - don't fix it. If your bike was running lean enough to hole a piston, there would be other indications of a lean mixture.

Guest rosso mandello

Hi again.

My TPS vas all the way in from new, my dealer backed it up a little, 1/4 turn or so.

I am also waiting for an expert to answer the 2 remaining questions.

ciao Mogens.

Does your bike ping ( ugly rattly, clattery noise ) when trying to accelerate hard? Also, does it feel lean when accerating? Difficult to explain but if its too lean it will struggle to accelerate when you first open the throttle. If its about right it will take right off. Too lean, wimpy, about right will feel robust. Also, there is a good article about reading spark plugs on 4stroke.com.

Your bike has different plumbing from mine so we can not compare dirrectly but I increased my TBS voltage to .64 hoping to reduce the pinging ( mine was pretty bad and I feared for a holed piston ) and was pleasently surprised with the ridability. Also, no more ping.

Some day I'll play around w/ a PC III just for the sake of doing it but for now I am working on the suspension as its what I notice when riding.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Bruce

13km/l is poor. 50mpg is over 20km/l

You don't need a PC you just need something that will allow adjustment. If I was in your boots I'd go for the tuneboy. The PC is a poor second to that in my opinion.

In terms of dynoing the tuneboy does have protocols compatible with the dynojet tuning link. That seems to have been missed on the last thread. It should cost no more than a PC to do a dyno session with

13km/l is 30-31 mpg. 1 kilometer/liter (km/l) = 2.352 miles/US gallon (mpg).

Unless you ride very aggressively, this fuel consumption indicates that your bike may be set up to run richer that normal. Milage has been discussed in other threads, but I get between 35 and 40 mpg or about 16 km/l with my PCIII

Fact is, it runs great, thoug fuel milage is poor, 13 km/l, spark plugs looks fine, the exhaust pipes dont turn blue so I don´t think its running lean.

43670[/snapback]

Hi Mogens,

what you wrote, together with the fact, that there is indeed a world beside the internet, brings the sentence to my mind: NEVER CHANGE A RUNNING SYSTEM!

Personally I would not want my bike to consume this amount of fuel, but who knows how you are using it. If I compare this with the values given in the different magazine tests it is not that much too much.

I think you trust the right people. Seems they've been in this business already in pre-PC times, somehow like the stuff at Guzzi itself.

Hubert

My standard V11 gets 45mpg. It was set up by Max Moto in Bury St Edmunds and runs great, smooth and responsive. If you whack the throttle open in a high gear below about 4000 rpm it pings noticeably on standard unleaded, very slightly on Shell Optimax and not at all on BP Ultimate. The fact it doesn't ping at all on BP Ultimate is odd as this fuel has a slightly lower octane rating than Shell Optimax.

The bike does seem sensitive to fuel, so I would never put shitty supermarket petrol in it.

Always, I mean Always use the premium petrol, The tank doesn't hold enough to have a fit over it. Pay the extra your bike will thank you in the long run. I swear they get used to it. I loaned my old bike to my uncle who filled it up with plain and it ran like crap I thought it needed to be tuned, nope we ran out the crap gas filled it up with the premo again and it ran like a kitten. Only a two year old bike at the time not some old geezer. I've heard they have some better additives plus the octane in the primo. So go for it.

DeBen,

On current prices in the UK I am paying in your money $1.64 / litre for premium high octane and $1.50 / litre for standard. If you go to the equivalent of Wal-Mart you can get crap fuel for $1.38 if you shop there first and spend more than about $80 on groceries to get the voucher.

Our fuel is mostly taxes!

Guest dopiata

Fuel tax is almost as high in NJ, here in the US.

I think the feds get over 0.35 per gallon.

And NJ puts on another 0.14-0.18 per gallon.

And all of this money does not go to the highways.

Even still two of the major roads in NJ are toll roads.

Most of the money they make on fuel goes to mass transit.

It is used as a subsidy.

Just my 2 cents.