Another V-Twin Alternative

al_roethlisberger

Buell is finally adopting the VRSC engine, to be announced at Daytona this year:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/interviews/...daInterview.htm

No details yet, but it could be interesting. I actually liked the technology and execution of the new XB series. Although, the VRSC engine is something of a "porker" so it'll be interesting to see how they shoe-horn that into their "mass centralization" and "sport fighter" formula.

But in case you can't tell, I'm not a big water cooled engine fan, so I'd still be partial to the XB and previous series, unless Buell really surprises me with their styling, etc...

We'll see I guess :huh2:

al

How are they going to fit that massive [physically] engine into the average Buell chassis?

Ciao, Steve G.

44407[/snapback]

Turn it through 90° and fit a shaft drive.......

Ducatis are OK though. And the SV Suzukis are functional bikes, I had an SV650 before the Guzzi, but I got sick of cleaning and lubing the chain with the high mileage I do.

Like Harley, there is a trtend out there to laugh at Buells, but if they use the Vrod engine, it will be a serious machine. How are they going to fit that massive [physically] engine into the average Buell chassis?

Ciao, Steve G.

44407[/snapback]

The 60deg V2 doesn't have the vibes of the 45deg V2, plus the water cooling acts as a high-freq. damper; net result, they don't need to rubber mount it like the a/c mill. That frees up some space. Also, the Buells have a perimeter type frame already, so that will give freer access to the top end for valve servicing! ;) The radiator can fit under the seat in the rear wheel well with forced-air cooling or it can be mounted in the fairing at the nose of the bike. [i'm banking on option 2, since it's easier, but wouldn't be suprised if Buell went with Plan A since he's already shown a propensity for traveling the technologically adventurous route...]

What I don't get is why everyone seems to think the VR mill is that much more massive than the Twin Cam/ Evo mills? Once you add in their external gearbox w/ the huge primary cover, that's not a small/light starting point either... :blink:

I'm glad H-D finally woke up & gave Buell the go-ahead, altho' I truly was expecting them to put the VR engine in one of their baggers before finally loosing "the hounds of war."

My maintance tip ride in the rain and fit a scotoiler  :luigi:

44463[/snapback]

Nah! Chain = pain. I much prefer the V11 and people I know have had scottoilers do a great job of tyre lubrication. Exposed chains are stupid. I had an MZ250 with the chain enclosed in a plastic and rubber tube affair. I had the bike 11 years and only bought one chain and never had to change a sprocket.

I think it can only be good for buell, they've been around a lot longer than I thought they were which means their sales have to be about as bad as a certian other itialian brand which will remain nameless, I'm just saying I think I see them somewhat around here because MN is a huge harley state and lots of those younger riders buy a buell for wait for it, ... "performance" maybe the lightning or firebolt dunno but most of thier bikes are crappy. I'm sure compared to here many parts of the US and espeically europe buell isn't too abundant

What I don't get is why everyone seems to think the VR mill is that much more massive than the Twin Cam/ Evo mills? Once you add in their external gearbox w/ the huge primary cover, that's not a small/light starting point either...  :blink:

44464[/snapback]

True, but they don't put the bit Evo engine in the Buells, they put the XL engine which is a much more compact design, including an integrated transmission.

al

I bought a 2000 Buell Thundbolt S3T new in april of 2000 when the V11 Sport that I had ordered did not arrive. 27000 miles later I still love the bike. It has been much more trouble free than my 2001 V11 Motoguzzi and is every bit as fast as the Sport in the twisties while always giving me 50 mpg against 40 mpg on the Guzzi. People that give the big Buells no respect have never had one on their tail.

Test rode a Buell before I bought the V11. Vibrated like a jackhammer[ ten times worse than my old shovelhead].Looked great but functionally flawed in my opinion tho Ibelieve the new ones are a big improvement. When I got back to the dealers he noticed part of the rear brake assy had disappeared. No, I didnt buy it......

Test rode a Buell before I bought the V11. Vibrated like a jackhammer[ ten times worse than my old shovelhead].Looked great but functionally flawed in my opinion tho Ibelieve the new ones are a big improvement. When I got back to the dealers he noticed part of the rear brake assy had disappeared. No, I didnt buy it......

44490[/snapback]

Guest Jeff Kelland

It is important to keep in mind that the v-rod engine is an evolution of the original vr-1000 superbike engine. As Buell says in the interview, they will run it through their own engineering process. I've seen the vr-1000 superbikes up close and personal, they are very compact. I watched Picotte practice in the rain at Louden a few years ago, he wanted the race to run and threw down the gauntlet. Scott Russell went out the other vr, and Kocinski came out to play on his duck. The 3 of them hammered around in the rain, very serious stuff. The "stars" cried about the rain and they called it off. They ran the race on a clear Monday for another Maladin/suzuki win. Very disappointing! Picotte was cranking! I lost a lot of respect for the AMA that day.They ran all the other classes. I've watched the Buell's from day 1. I rode a S3 in Wisconsin this year, it was breathed on a bit, it was outstanding fun! The firebolt is on my short list of bikes I need in the future. I'll wait to see what Eric has up his sleeve! It looks like my elbow will never be 100% after the accident, but I'll be able to ride with clip ons again. While I still believe another goose is a likely choice, these Buells are getting closer and closer. Maybe when the case is settled, I can stock the barn! :grin:

I'm sure compared to here many parts of the US and espeically europe buell isn't too abundant

44474[/snapback]

There are a fair number of Buells in the UK and they have a decent reputation, certainly better than Guzzi. Whether that's fair or not is another thing. I quite like them myself, but the lack of a pillion seat rules them out for me as I only have the space for one bike.